Saturday, May 2, 2009

Road Trip Day 5










So I'm back in civilization here in Long Beach CA! My buddy Mike has a great place right across the street from the beach. It was great being on the road for 3+ days but I was ready to get out of the car especially with my back acting up. I was trying to get here Thursday night but decided against it after driving the winding switchback roads of the NorCal coast. I did the 17 mile drive at Pebble Beach and it was awesome! I then stumbled into this great campground on a cliff in Los Padres National Forest and couldn't pass it up! Chili and I built a fire :D and had a chance to relax for the night. I'm reading this great book called "Letters of the Scattered Brotherhood" (kinda refreshing being away from the TV). It's funny because the book was a gift from my Godmother (Aunt Shell) and I had forgotten about it... When I was packing for my trip, it happened to be right in the closet underneath my pile of medical bills! I left the bills and grabbed the book ;) So far, it's been sort of a life changer for me as it's comprised of letters written by anonymous authors who are seeking serenity and strength through spiritual enlightenment. All of the letters so far have hit home with me as I struggle to overcome the fear of my cancer relapsing. The book was actually first published in 1948 but is a timeless classic... Thanks again Aunt Shell!

Anyway, back to my trip... So I'll probably be staying in L.A. for a few days to catch up with Mike and also my Buddy Lee and his wife Dana. We were thinking of hitting this bar in Hollywood called the Baked Potato which is this little dive where all kinds of famous musicians show up to jam. In fact, Monday night is open jam night and you never know who might show up... Hopefully we'll get lucky and see something memorable. I think today I'm gonna take Chili down to an offleash area of Long Beach and do some shopping as all of my clothes are too big on me! My jeans are falling off of me... Also forgot to mention that I lost half of my summer clothes due to having my plastic bin (on a cargo carrier behind my car) too close to my exhaust pipe! The plastic ended up melting all over my clothes/hats, bummer! Not that big of a deal as most of my shorts are way too big on me now too... Hopefully Target has some cool stuff for cheap.

That's pretty much it for now. Just wanted to send sympathies to Jessica Wentz's family as she passed away. Prayers for her surviving husband and two beautiful children.

I'll try and update in a few days...

6 comments:

Veronica said...

I'm loving following your journey, Chris - the pics are beautiful.

Hope you get to see/hear some amazing sights in Hollywood! Looking forward to your next update - ENJOY!! :0)...........Vx

Rob said...

Looking forward to the next installment of your road trip log.......looks like you are having a great time with Chili. Can't wait to see you when you get to Michigan, take your time, have fun and be safe in your travels. Sorry to hear about your Uncle Stan and Jessica, you are right, cancer does suck. Talk to you soon,
Rob and the Fam

Rob said...

By the way, in the last set of pics, Julia loved the Paul Bunyan shot while I am rather partial to "Joliet" Jake and Elwood myself. Time for you to contact the Travel Channel and get a wandering reporter job, you'd be great.

Rob said...

Can't wait to get the latest update of your road trip log, by the photos and the events, looks like you and Chili are having a great time. Julia especially liked the Paul Bunyan pic while I am rather more taken with the "Joliet" Jake and Elwood photo. Sorry to hear about your Uncle Stan and Jessica. You are right, cancer truely sucks. We can't wait to see you once you get back to the D, but take your time, ease your back and enjoy this amazing journey.

Rob and Fam

Adrienne said...

I hope we hear from you when you're in Las Vegas. Email me at alison95070@yahoo.com and I'll give you our phone number. Glad that you're having a great trip. The California coast is gorgeous. Hugs, Alison

ctrl-alt-delete said...

I like Chili's scarf!