Friday, October 2, 2009

Moving On...

Not to be a bummer, but had a rough day today... The news of Adrienne is of course still fresh on my mind and probably won't go away any time soon. To make matters worse, the muscle/joint pain has come back and it's been pretty intense. It seems like the same thing happened last cycle, the aches came on around day 13-14, exactly the same timeframe. I also have some major pain in my side/back right now after going out and having a beer. What does all this mean? As far as I can figure, the muscle aches may come on as the drug starts exiting my system (supposed to have a 3 week half life). I'm also thinking that as the drug is leaving my system, because I'm not in remission, the cancer is becoming active again and thus I get the pain from alcohol. This latest episode was pretty bad... It was in my back and my abdomen. I sure hope the Hodgkins isn't spreading. I have an appt. with my Onc. this Monday to discuss the muscle/joint pain as well as my fear of possible disease progression. Progression would mean getting kicked off the trial and not sure what my next options would be.


Hanging out before the Tiger game yesterday where they could have clinched but instead layed an egg. To drown our sorrows, we drank all those beers on the table, ha! (just kidding) Seriously, I had one and felt ok because I took Ibuprofen. Tonight, I didn't take anything before I went out and the pain was intense.


Goofing around...


Me and "Big Boy"!


Chili sad that she couldn't go to the game :(


With all this said, I'm pretty calm! I'm mostly writing this to document my experiences with the drug as it's easy for me to come back to this blog and see exactly what was going on at a particular time. My next infusion is scheduled next Thursday and then I have a PET scan scheduled once I return from my trip on the 29th. Not exactly sure what to expect but wouldn't be surprised if we need to go in a different direction.

The Pacific Ocean is calling my name right now...

2 comments:

Veronica said...

I reckon you're allowed rough days, Chris, without being a bummer! Adrienne's passing has affected so very many people. Moving on isn't as easy as people who haven't had cancer might think - even though my hubby has been in remission for over 2 years, he still frequently looks over his shoulder fully expecting a 2nd relapse.........it's sad, but to be expected - intensified for those with refractory cancer.

But you still have a killer attitude, Chris....ride the rough days and enjoy the good.......you're doing great......Vx

naw said...

chris I know this is going to sound cliche coming from me and all but PLEASE stay STRONG!!!!!!! having bad days is only part of the course of things as you know. And as callous as this sounds warriors come and warriors go in this game of life. I remember how the passing of alise coco effected me in 2007 when I learned the news the same day I got my official diagnosis. I was devastated by that news but I knew if I wallowed in that sad news for too long that it would not be good for my own cancer fight. Right now your going through your own fight please stay focused on your own fight and not distract your self with the sadness of others for longer periods then you need to. moving on and forward is exactly what is needed, its why during my transplant period when I relapsed earlier this year I ignored the sad stories as much as I could this time around. As I realized that I didnt want them to pull me down like similar stories did the first time I was diagnosed in 2007. Try to focus on the good parts of your life if you can I hope they will make days like these pass quicker and have less of a negative effect on you.
Your doing great, just so you know that!!! I have a feeling the pain from the beer was more the amount of beer you drank that day then that it was beer it self. :)
but its good that your having this concern of your addressed as it might be some thing you should not ignore, just try not to go down that road before you know for sure as there is a distinct possibility that your PET results will show negative for cancer and the pain is just the side effect pain of the drug. your in my thoughts all the time!!!