Saturday, July 18, 2009

It's Never Easy...

What in the world is going on?!! I spoke with my new Oncologist yesterday and found out that at this point, I can't get into the SGN-35 trial. Apparently, the independent pathology outfit in charge of approving applicants for the trial don't have enough "slides" from my relapse biopsy from last year. The first sample (as I wrote about before) didn't have any Hodgkins cells in it. I then brought previously tested slides to my Oncologist, Dr. Ramchandran who then sent them to the independent pathology outfit and they came back yesterday saying that there were only two slides showing the necessary CD30+ antibody. Inexplicably, they said they need to have six slides!! Dr. Ramchandran proceeded to instruct the University of Washington to send whatever sample of my biopsied lymph node that was left to the company in hope that they can find enough CD30+ cells to qualify me for the study. I'm not overly confident as I don't think there's a whole lot left of that biopsied node that has been frozen at U of W. To further complicate things, there's no way I can have a new biopsy done as my disease is located in a spot where they would have to bust through my chest and perform and overly invasive surgery which would put me down for a long time... So, at this point it looks like the only chance I have to get into the trial is if they find enough cells in what's left of my previously biopsied cancerous node or I can find a strong enough (or team of) advocate/s to argue on my behalf. I'm pretty much numb to all of this right now...

On a positive note, I had a great time at Jackie's sister's wedding festivities the last couple of days! The rehearsal dinner was nice with a BBQ in the families' backyard and the wedding at the Grosse Ile Country Club. Everyone had a fun time and I was even out there cutting a rug for a while! I was able to have a few drinks without all that much pain so I think that helped! I wish the best for Jeff and Melissa who are in route to the East Coast for their honeymoon.



Beautiful little church on the Detroit River in Grosse Ile



View of the river as you exit the church



The Groom and Groomsmen!



The Bride and Bridesmaids!



"Stepping Out of Da Bug" to the reception

3 comments:

Veronica said...

Hey Chris - truly, truly hoping that this is just a blip in the road and that everything gets resolved quickly and ending in the result that you get on the SGN-35 trial as planned.
I hope you've posted this on the forum as I'm sure someone will have some advice on how best to proceed.........everything crossed for you, buddy......Vx

Anastasia said...

All I have to say is these SGN people better get their act together and accept you into this trial, or I am sending Pooka straight over there to make things happen! She might be a little more persuasive and intimidating if she picks up Chili on the way, so if you hear a little dog barking outside your door...well, it's a canine who loves you, on mission! Nice wedding pictures, btw.

Duane said...

Hope you can get in the trial, bud. Thinking about you.