Monday, July 20, 2009

Options

So, I spoke with Dr. Ram today and he advised me the rest of the tumor block is on its way to Covants to be tested for CD30+. He's not overly confident that they're going to find enough in there to sign off but I'm holding out hope. As a contigency, we discussed a couple of less than desirable scenarios which I'll explan:
First, if they don't get what they need from the sample, I can get a CT guided biopsy where they'd stick a core needle through my chest and attempt to cut a portion of my lymph node and extract it. This small portion would them be tested. The downside of this is its a very small sample and with my disease expressing only a small amount of malignant cells, the odds are low we'd find anything with this method. I'd then have a nice hole in my chest that'd need to heal...

Scenario two is a different route altogether. Since I have a relatively small amount of disease somewhat closely located, radiation is an option. Dr. Ram mentioned it would be extremely effective with the bone lesions. Of course, radiation would only provide temporary relief as the disease would surely come back or progress to a different location. This may buy me enough time however until another trial comes along that I could get into.

So, my hope is still get into the SGN trial of course. Nice to know that I do have another option to keep the disease at bay for a while though! I know there are some good things waiting to happen to me down the road. I just need to be ready to accept them!

By the way, went to a picnic yesterday at my favorite park Stoney Creek. Felt good to throw the frisbee around, the football around, play a little soccer and cook out on a charcoal bbq! We were right in front of the lake and it was really festive out there. Also caught up with some friends which was nice. I was a little drained from the sun but still managed to have a great time :)

Since I wasn't drinking, Chili picked up my slack (cleaning out empty bottles :-D

3 comments:

Veronica said...

yeah - options are good and you know that whichever option you go for will have been well thought-out.
I love the way you continue to 'live' through all of this - inspriational Chris!.......Vx

Heather said...

i'm sorry that you've been dealt another crappy cancer hand.

have you ever had a CT guided biopsy of the chest before? i would consider it. yes it is possible that there wouldn't be enough samples. but if the docs think there is any possibility...i know that you really want to do the trial, and then radiation would always be left in the arsenal.

it really isn't that bad of a procedure especially of a surgical biopsy is still being considered. i had the same while wide awake. it was creepy, but other than that not bad at all. the hole was tiny, in fact i can't see the scar anymore and there was very little soreness as it healed.

i believe they took 3 samples and it came very close to not being enough. they were thinking hodge and used a lot looking for that. with the little bit that was left they were able to diagnose NHL.

whatever you and your docs decide, we're all cheering you on and sending out lots of prayers and love.

Kirsten (not Kristen) said...

Ugg, Chris, so frustrating. Hoping your slides take care of this CD 30 business and you can get on the trial ASAP. Fingers crossed.

Kirsten

p.s. Tell Chili to lay off the booze :)