Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Outside World...

Ever since my encouraging PET/CT scan I've had a little extra pep in my step and have really been enjoying this spell of feeling relatively well. In doing so, I really haven't had a chance to keep up with what's going on in the world and as I sit here and watch the news, a couple of things really struck me.

There seems to be another wave of paranoia blowing around, (kinda like it was just after 9/11) with regard to Islam, Muslims and Mosques.

Quietly, the War in Iraq is "officially ended" whatever that means. The price tag to remove an old delusional dictator who was absolutely no threat to America: 1 trillion dollars, 4500 American troops dead, 35,000 American troops wounded, 10's of thousands of troops with brain trauma and thousands of others who will suffer the effects of post traumatic stress disorder. Can't forget the mass amount of innocent Iraqis that were killed and who will be killed once we leave. Not to mention how the war became a recruiting tool for Islamic extremists and Jihadists, damaged America's reputation around the world, the list could go on... By far, the worst foreign policy blunder our country has ever made.

With all that said, because of the ineptness of the Democrats that are now in power (in many facets), it seems as if our country is poised to elect the party back into power that pushed for this war and created all of the problems that have led to this f'd up economy. I just don't get it... Why are we stuck with only two parties to choose from?! (and no, the backward thinking Tea Party is not the right answer)

Pretty crazy that you don't hear anything about the oil spill anymore... All that oil that was spilled into the water and the damage that was done and it's almost like it never happened...

Locally, it looks like this guy Rick Snyder is going to be our next governor (according to the polls). He seems like a good fit for Michigan with his business background as our state continues to reinvent it's economy. You can kinda feel things are on the verge of turnaround with new industries starting to emerge. The growing movie industry has really created a buzz around here... I was eating at a local restaurant the other day and the the guy from Detroit 1-8-7 came in (Michael Imperioli who was also in the Sopranos). People are talking about plans for huge urban farms once the 100's of abandoned homes in Detroit are razed. The mayor wants to shrink the city (basically relocate people who live on these deserted blocks to viable neighborhoods) to save the city money on public services. The resulting large plots of land would then be turned into farms that would ideally link up with local grocers and restaurants. It's happening on a small scale now and hopefully will continue. Most interesting however is how fast the Medical Marijuana industry is growing (no pun intended) here. You can't drive down a freeway without seeing a billboard advertising growing supplies etc... You open up a Detroit Weekly or Metro Times and the last 10-12 pages are all ads devoted to the now legal practice of growing and cultivating Marijuana for medicinal purposes, crazy...

Things are definitely changing around here and after such a long period of being stuck in a rut, it seems as if Michigan may be on the verge of a comeback. I'm cautiously optimistic...

That's pretty much my take away on the major things going on right now. One thing I forgot though is the tragedy going on in Pakistan. I guess 3.5 million Pakistanis have been displaced from their homes because of the floods. In total, 14 million people apparently have been affected. Doesn't it seem like there have been a lot of disasters lately or is it just me...

Anyway, that's my take on some current events for what it's worth.

It seems as if fall is on it's way...

Where'd the summer go?!

5 comments:

Mary Daar said...

Hi Chris,
You probably do not remember me, but we graduated high school together. I came across this blog while researching cancer/surviviors/etc. for my dear friend who is also struggling with her own unrelenting battle. I recognized your pic right away.
I just wanted to send you some words of encouragement. I want you to know that it's people like you that truly remind all of us to live in the moment and to appreciate this crazy, wonderful, mysterious and sometimes brutal world we live in. My hope is that one day it will all make sense. I'm sure you will continue to inspire your friends and family. Keep your spirits up and many prayers for continued good news.
God Bless,
Mary Daar (Class of '89 Cousino)

Anonymous said...

Chris, You and I and politics are on a completely different wave length. I enjoy reading your opinions though and rationale for your thoughts. It is always thought thought provoking and challenging.

First and foremost, we made our annual pilgrimage to a basilica in Ohio. My family has been going there annually for over 100 years. The miracles that have been performed there are amazing. We both prayed for you there and lit a candle. Please know that you are in both of our prayers every single day.

Secondly, in regards to politics, the pendulum swings. People cant take anymore of the liberal agenda. It's time to see the other side.

As far as mosques being built at ground zero, I am not entirely opposed, however; I would like to know why the Christian churches that were destroyed at ground zero on 9/11 can not get their permits approved in order to rebuild. It's just more of the same to me.
Let's face it, it's hip to bash the Christian majority.

It is why Harvard and a lot of the ivy league schools now have a point system. If you have African parents (not African American parents), you get 1500 points, for Asians 1200 points, for Indians (Hindu) parents 1000 points, and African American parents 600 points. Causian kids? 200 points. The pendulum must swing. It has gone too far with the liberal agenda. Much like the unions, there was a reason for them at one time - gross abuse by management, but now it has gone too far. Why would a person of color want to annouce that they are a graduate of a top ten school only to have someone think, "Good for you, you were quota 4626562". My friends of color agree. It does nothing for them because it isnt looked upon as being a merit based admission.

Very sad.

As for Detroit, I hope you are right. Urban farming on that land? Who knows what has been dumped into the soil? Not sure I would feed my kids food grown in urban farms, not sure that this has even been brought up? Just my 2 cents worth.

Glad your pep is back. Like I said, we are always thinking of you and keeping up with you via your blog. Thank you for sharing your life with us and know we think of you often.

Anonymous said...

Chris, I've been following your blog for quite awhile (stumbled on it after my 25 year old son was diagnosed with HD in '07) Just want you to know I'm sending out best wishes to you from Hartford, Ct! (and I appreciate your blog post on "The Outside World." I'm with you!)
Virginia

Chris said...

To the second anonymous comment. First, thanks a lot!

I just wanted to say that I didn't intend to start a political debate but was just sharing my views on what I feel are the major issues right now.

Not quite sure what you mean by the "liberal agenda". I haven't noticed any changes or new laws that directly affect how I live my life. The things you were referring to i.e. quotas etc. have existed for a while. I agree with you, some of it quite frankly isn't fair. If you're referring to the health care bill, I agree, it's a little misguided as I wrote about before. But as I also mentioned, it directly benefits me as I cannot be discriminated against because of my pre-existing condition. Plus, thousands of kids and vulnerable people are now going to have access to healthcare. Is this liberal? I guess you could say so. Would Jesus want children and vulnerable people covered, I would think so...

If we are pursuing a liberal agenda, I wonder then how the conservatibe agenda can be any better when under Bush we saw the largest expansion of government in the history of this nation, turned a budget surplus into the largest deficit ever, invaded the wrong country, managed to divide a country that was at onetime united after 9/11, all of the corruption cases...

If I had to choose between this and a liberal agenda, I guess I would tend to lean toward a liberal agenda. Because of this, I think it'd be great if we had another viable political party that has ideas that fit out times and isn't controlled by the special interests but the people.

Thank you for the prayers and the respectful debate.

All the best,

Chris

Anonymous said...

Chris, I am with you - I think another party that truly represents the majority would be MOST welcomed in this country!!!

I like a lot of what Ron Paul has to say and am still following him. You are right, we need someone without the special interests. In this way, I agree with you more than you think.

As far as George W, I dont think he was anything special either, but I do not care for Obama in the least bit.

In any event, we have to find a middle ground because in both political scenarios (extreme right or extreme left), we have GROSS amounts of people suffering - and that, in and of itself, is grave sin in this country.

Jesus would certainly want care for all of his children. This is true. It is because of the GREAT GREED of the pharm companies that this travesty occurs daily (people who are sick are getting turned away from treatment). It is inhumane. I say reform the health care companies but do NOT bring in govt to run healthcare (you will see more greed, less care, etc) - ack, dont let me get on my soapbox.

Keep writing, you are d*mn good at it and keep a very interesting blog.

BTW, have you read the latest on detroitblog.com - I saw it in the MT over the weekend and thought about you - especially with your background. Please check it out and come back here to post your thoughts on food, atmosphere, etc. That place has your name all over it.

Gotta run - but let me send all my good stuff from us to you before I jet.

Talk soon.