Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Insomnia Post

Hello Everyone,

Just thought I'd check in, can't get to sleep. While this is nothing new, I remember that I used to do these posts during bouts of insomnia and they actually would help me fall asleep, so here goes!

While the back pain is still staying away, I've been dealing with some side effects from the RAD001. One of them is mucositis or painful lesions inside my mouth as well as something called angular chelitas which is a sore that won't heal on the corner of my mouth. At first, I thought it was just chapped lips but when I showed Dr. Ram, he told me it was a fungus or bacteria that is commonly caused by the drug. Just a couple minor but painful reminders that I'm still in treatment every time I eat, talk or smile, nice... I also contracted some kind of bug that has knocked me down pretty hard. I think it's a combination of allergies and the bug and the result is nasty headache, stuffed up, sore throat, cough, lost voice and complete exhaustion.

Funny, before diagnosis, I never used to get sick!

I know my last post was nice and rosy and truth be told, I was feeling really well when I wrote it. It just never seems to last very long... I guess I'm used to and it really makes me really appreciate it when I'm feeling almost totally healthy. In fact, it's now the next morning (writing this did make me sleepy and I did fall asleep before finishing, ha!) and I'm feeling better. I think one more day and I'll hopefully be back strong. The plan for the mouthsores is to go get some lidocane mouthwash and canker sore medicine (the sores feel like canker sores although much worse). The thing on the corner of my mouth seems to be healing as well (been using neosporin) so maybe me venting has helped something (like I say, it's always better to get it out!).

So, the plan for today is to go to an outside blood draw facility where they're going to draw like 16-20 vials to be sent Fed Ex to Baylor University in Houston. They'll then test my blood for EBV and if I'm positive, they'll somehow start growing my own modified killer T cells which are supposed to hunt down and kill any Hodgkins cells in my body. I'm also going to resume working on my bathroom which is almost done! In fact, I took my first proper shower here two nights ago and it was like a dream! I think by the next post I'll be able to post some before and after pictures. Next up is the kitchen which shouldn't be anywhere near as bad. Good times ;)

I think I'm ready to take a road trip or trip in general to break the monotony here. It's rewarding and makes me feel useful to be working on something (this house) but truth be told it's pretty stressful living in a place that's under construction. It's impossible to keep it clean and I can never find anything! I think I want to get away from this for a bit to recharge my batteries. Maybe a trip up to Northern Michigan might be in the cards, we'll see. I'm waiting for my convertible to be fixed as I just found out the transmission is shot. In fact, it happened right after my last appt. at Karmanos and had to drive home all the way in second gear! I have a mechanic I found last year who happens to live in Windsor Canada and his prices are almost half of anyone around here so I decided to take the car to him last week. It was pretty interesting driving all the way to the tunnel from Ferndale through some of the worst parts of Detroit as I had to take side streets all the way. You can imagine some of the looks I got driving 20 mph in the ghetto. Most people doing that are there for the wrong reasons I'll just leave it at that. Thankfully I made it and should be picking up the car tomorrow. It's going to take a nice chunk out of my savings but I've committed to that car (actually need it for Florida) so I'll bite the bullet and hope nothing else major happens to it anytime soon.

Alright, that's all I've got for now. For those who read this that I haven't talked to in a while, hope all is well and look forward to catching up soon.

Happy Hump Day!

Chris

2 comments:

Anastasia said...

Hey Chris, I'm sorry to read about the mouth sores :( sounds like a pain in the...mouth! I am glad to read they are getting better though. Also sounds like a vacay is in order! Hope you go someplace that is lots of fun.

Loraine Ritchey said...

Shouldn't be giving medical advice I know a but try rinsing with the "red" childrens "elixir of benadryl" and spitting it out works with mouth ulcers and sore throats - used to work better before they changed the formula don't swallow though just rinse of gargle.... helped my Chris thinking of you Loraine