Thursday, April 19, 2012

Rambling On...

Hello my friends!

Sorry again about that last post, makes you appreciate simple things like paragraphs and spacing when you have no control over it! I regret it came out like that because I felt there were a lot of important things I mentioned in that post. Everything just got jumbled together and I know was hard to read...

So, here goes another try typing this in the new blogspot format which I'm still getting used to. For some reason, it doesn't seem to operate as smoothly as the last version, maybe it's just me.

I'm continuing what seems to be a really long road back to recovery. I've slowly been building my body back but for some reason, I've been extremely exhausted. I'm sure it has to do with me getting exercise and being more active working on the kitchen etc. I actually took a bike ride to the beach the other day and once I got there, proceeded to do a 2 mile walk on the sand which is no joke (at least for me and my f'd up feet). When I got back, I can't remember being more exhausted... I hit my bed and passed out immediately and didn't get up for 2.5 hours. It's been several days and I'm still dealing with the soreness a bit but nothing like the first two days where I could barely move. Sometimes I feel like my body is that of a 75 year old rather than a 41 year old, crazy...

But as I complaign, I also feel so blessed to be able to get out and do things again, ahhh. Like I mentioned, I purchased my first beach cruiser bike with a gift certificate I had and the thing is a blast! I had the handlebars pulled back so I can just ride upright which I've never done. I'm so used to hunching over on my road bike or mountain bike which is so uncomfortable compared to cruising! I want to get a basket and another thing for the back to carry things. Based on how my legs feel, I think I'm going to start biking here and in Michigan as much as I can. My legs have really lost a lot of strength over the last few years after the neuropathy/guillaine barre bout. I don't mind working out but at this stage of the game, I need to trick myself into doing it, i.e. biking, swimming, walking on the beach, working on the house, you get the idea. I used to have a gym membership and I think I've outgrown the concept of standing in the same spot repeating the same motion over and over again, I don't know...

Glad to say I've gained about 5-6 pounds back from the 10 I lost while being sick. I still deal with the appetite issues but have found these awesome protein shakes made by Bolthouse Farms that have about 800 calories per bottle and 64 grams of protein, all from whey and soy (they're chocolate so I'm sure there's plenty of calories from sugar, oh well).

Wanted to share some good news by the way regarding my Mom. Her Doctor told her that she's in remission! Better yet, the two harsh chemo's that she takes are going bye bye and she's only going to have to get Herceptin which I think is gentler and kinder than the traditional chemo's. I need to look it up to see exactly what it does but the most important thing is it's working and progress is being made, yes!

So, I'm really close to finishing the kitchen down here at my place in Delray Beach. I'm looking forward to posting some before and after pics next post. I'm really proud of it as I've done it for much less than $1000, probably more like $600-700. I could be on that show Trading Spaces although instead of it taking 2 days it's taken me more like 3 months, lol. I did get new appliances though so I guess that would be extra... I think I mentioned before I bought them at Sears at what I thought was a great deal but after them shipping the wrong stove and having to spend countless hours on the phone trying to fix the situation, maybe I didn't get such a deal, but then again, maybe I did, it's over now...

Well, it's that time of year again, time to start transitioning back up north where I feel most at home, where my roots are, ahh... I look forward to being close to my family, having chili under my bed as I sleep, the crisp air, the tall trees, the down to earth people, and all of my little projects going on up there. Don't get me wrong, I love it down here in Soflo but as they say, there's no place like home, Michigan in the summertime, very nice :)

Ok, that's all I've got for now, looking forward to an awesome day tomorrow.

Remembering all of my friends, some who I've met and some who I've not (in person), who are struggling right now. If you're reading this, pretty good chance you're one of these people or friends/family of one of these people and to you I wish peace and healing.

Goodnight, Chris

1 comment:

gretchen said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better and with being able to do some "normal" things again makes it even sweeter. Your bike ride means so much more than a bike ride to someone who hasn't been afflicted by disease. Michigan is getting more beautiful by the day...it has been pretty chilly still...warm up must be on its way:) safe travels when you head north and prayers for continued healing!