Thursday, November 6, 2008

Costco

I never thought I'd say this but Costco is awesome! I went today and loaded up on SCT supplies (Hepa air filter, frozen dinners, protein powder, juice, etc..). Man, it's easy to drop a boat load of money in that place as there's so many deals! Unfortunately, I have to watch every penny these days living on long term disability checks...

I also found this great art supply warehouse not to far from Costco and loaded up on canvases and bought a new 10 tube acrylic paint set. In fact, I just got done with a painting here at Jackies. It's sort of an abstract looking sun with a black background. I've found painting to be one of the most relaxing soothing things I've ever done. Some of my pieces turn out ok and some look like third grade work! With that said, I'm really enjoying it and find it therapeutic as it helps me keep my mind off of cancer (which of course is a good thing). One of my Hodgkins buddies, Duane from the Bronx (www.thejournalofaprizefighter.com) started a thread on our Hodgkins forum talking about hobbies/interests that people have picked up as result of having cancer. He happened to pick up photography and has some really cool shots you can check out on his blog. The guy is a big time warrior as he's gone through an auto transplant like the one I'm getting ready for as well as an allo transplant where he's received a donor's stem cells. The allo is much tougher as many people develop a condition called graft versus host disease where the donor cells start attacking not only the cancer cells in your body but your good cells as well. This can be controlled but the side effects are pretty tough to say the least and a lot of times can be fatal if they get out of control. Duane definately has my respect.

By the way, I was glad to read that my other Hodgkins buddy Bekah is doing much better with the experimental drug she's on to control her refractory hodgkins. She just had a PET scan and after two cycles, the drug has reduced her disease drastically and her side effects are much milder now as they've adjusted her dosage.

There are so many others on the Hodgkins board who have or are inspiring me to get through these next few months. Not only has the board been great for support, I have to say I've learned most of what I know about my disease from it. I've actually suprised (and probably irritated) my doctors more than once with some of the questions I've asked them based on what I've learned from others on the board.

I received good advice from a former co-worker who told me never forget "who's driving the bus" when it comes to getting treated for cancer... yes, that would be me! Although I have to say I feel like I'm driving on a snowy slippery Michigan road in the dead of winter right now. Have to hang on tight to the steering wheel and hope I don't hit a patch of ice... Soon enough though, I'll be hitting dry smooth pavement and be in control once again :)

No comments: