Monday, November 10, 2008

Day Zero 1st "Re Birthday"


So, I just got home after a long day at the SCCA... "You say it's your birthday, du du du du du dudu"! Well, it didn't feel like a birthday but I'm glad I'm here at home alive and well.

My day started off with the usual blood draw, no problem. I then went up to infusion where I would receive more hydration (mind you, I had been doing IV hydration the last 24hrs. at home with a pump). By now, I was ready to burst... After this, the nurse came in and gave me an elephants dose of benadryl and the room started to spin and I couldn't lift my head off the pillow, crazy... Combine that with Attivan and Zofran and I was a certified zombie. Oh, by the way, I agreed for some reason to take part in this trial their doing with Zofran to see if patients administered the drug had reduced nausea and vomiting while getting infused with stem cells. Later, I would be kicking myself as the guy who was running the study kept asking me after each bag of stem cells how nauseous I was... I was doing fine on the first bag even though it felt like (and tasted like) I was swallowing little pins and needles. To quell this, (I thought) I would drink chocolate milk to coat my throat and minimize the "uncomfortable" feeling in my esophogus (this would later come back to haunt me). Not to mention, my head and shoulders we're blazing on fire for which the nice nurse gave me a cool washcloth to put on my head. After the third bag, the trial guy asked me how nauseous I was and I threw a number out of 4 and asked him "why are you asking me this?" and he reminded me I volunteered for the study... Damn, I forgot! So the fourth bag starts dripping and he asks me and I throw out a 2 (between 1-10) and shortly thereafter, I was hurling chocolate milk, grape juice (and the rag that was on my head) into a bucket for all 7 people who were in the room with me to see! Everyone played it off though like it was no big deal which was good... After that, I started to feel a little better and got through the last two bags. Thank God that's over, now I get to do it one more time in around 4 weeks, yeehawww!

From here, I just have to wait for the stem cells to "engraft" so my immune system can bounce back in around 10-14 days.

And the fun is just beginning...

5 comments:

dave said...

Hey Chris,

Happy Re-Birthday #1 and congratulations!

Wasn't it the strangest tickle in your throat when the stem cells were infused back into your body? You should really try the mint candy next time. I hurled like you did during my first SCT, but was fine the 2nd time around with the mints.

How come your stem cells were in so many bags, I think I had all mine in one bag.

It still amazes me that you're doing this outpatient. Hang tight my friend, you'll be done in no time.

Veronica said...

Hey Chris,

Wullie told me that you were on round 1 of your SCT. Just wanted to add my well-wishes to your fight! I take it from the fact that you're at home that you're doing this outpatient?? I should really go read all the back entries, shouldn't I??

Anyway - know that you've got an army of supporters behind you and Wullie has dusted off those awful pink pom poms (wouldn't be so bad if they didn't sing everytime he waves them!!)

Take care, Chris - remember every day ticked off is a day closer to this all being behind you.........Vx

Anonymous said...

Wow, Chris, you are doing it all outpatient??!! I wouldn't have survived.
Happy re-birthday!
Benandryl also gave me weird feeling.
Well, not just count the days - your WBCs will go down to 0 around 7-9 days, then they'll be up and up and up!

Marsha (from lymphoma board)

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris::
Happy Re-Birthday Just a note to say were thinking of you, and keeping you in our prayers. Glad your at home while doing all this,its more comforting then hospital walls.Keep up the fight, we all know this is your new start to a wonderful new beginning. All our love Uncle Tom and Auntie Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
Hoping you are doing O.K. today. Sounds like yesterday was tough on you. Hoping the days ahead are easier on you. Like V said, you have an army pulling for you. All the very best to you. Maureen & Stephen (from the hodge board)