Monday, March 23, 2009



After a request by my Mom, I thought I'd do a quick update! My life is pretty boring lately so I don't have a lot to say...

Still struggling with my energy and some pain issues in my back and stomach plus my fingernails are falling off but other than that life is good! I've been hitting the gym at least 2-3 times a week and starting to feel stronger in my upper body. I take my dog for walks and sleep quite a bit. How's that for an exciting life! Thank God for March Madness!

I think the most difficult thing right now is figuring out how to cope with the after shock of so many months of therapy and the looming possibility that the cancer may come back. I don't know if that will ever go away so it's my constant challenge to keep the fear in the background and enjoy my life. I know it'll get easier as time goes by and once the pain I have starts to dissipate. Until then, I think I just need to keep myself as busy as possible and keep looking forward. It's normal (I think) to feel the way I feel after what I've been through. I just want to get my carefree attitude back... How long do I have to wait? Time will tell...

The pics are from a trip to Marymoor Park yesterday which is the Mecca of all offleash dog parks in Seattle!!



2 comments:

dave said...

Hey Chris, it's so good to see you're doing well! I feel accomplished enough just from taking my walk everyday, and here you're hitting the gym and snowboarding. :)

When my nails were falling out,
I put paper tape on them to keep them from catching on things. I even kept the tape on after until the nails were less soft and brittle. Just be careful with removing the tape when you have to change them.

I was quite depressed after I got discharged from the hospital post transplant. It didn't help with the "looming fear" either. Like you said, it's perfectly normal to feel that way. It *does* get better over time. Keep doing what feels right and take your time getting your energy back.

Veronica said...

Can't really add any more to what Dave said - he said it so darn well! ;0)
Sounds like you're doing great - everything you describe is understandable and yet another part of the recovery process, just keep focussing on the 'glad to be alive' bit!!..........thank your mum for the update ;0)........Vx