Monday, March 16, 2009

Snowboarding!


So this last Saturday morning, Jackie and I decided to take a little drive to the mountains. It's crazy, it was around 45-49 degrees and dry here in Seattle and after driving 45 minutes east, we were at Snoqualmie Resort in the Cascade Mountains and there was snow everywhere!

We decided that we would learn how to snowboard! Neither of us have ever tried it so we got a package deal that included lift ticket, rental and lesson. I'm really glad we did the lesson to get the basics down. I have to say, it's a lot tougher (snowboarding) than it looks. Of course having a double stem cell transplant a couple of months ago probably had a little to do with that... It's really important and helpful to have strength in your legs which I have very little of these days. The hardest part for me was toward the end of the day when I would wipe out and trying to get back up! It would take all of my strength just to get back up only to wipe out again the next minute! That said, I think a couple more times and I'll be shredding out there!

Good Times!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear that you are back to life, enjoying yourself again. The strength will take time but you will get there. Enjoy your road trip, sounds like fun!
Maureen

Rob said...

Great to see an updated pic of you, sure looks like you had fun. I'm jealous, I didn't get out on the slopes all year! Still, you have more courage than me. Snowboarding isn't for me, I'll stick to the two boards strapped to the feet and two poles in my hands for stability. As I get in my upper 40's, falling down doesn't have the same elan that it did a few years ago. Hope to see you in May, let me know your itinerary when you have a chance. Also, I forwarded your blog address to my sister Janet late last week. She's glad she has had a chance to read about your treatment journey and wanted me to pass on to you that she is still praying for you along with the group at her Catholic church. Love ya, mon,
Rob and fam

Veronica said...

Great to read about you doing things that are fun!! I'm not a fun of the slopes, but I can see you are enjoying it!! You'll be a pro in no time!! ;0)......x