Sunday, June 28, 2009

Adjusting to life in the D


(GM HQ's Downtown Detroit aka "The Renaissance Center")


(The D.I.A., one of the finest art galleries in the country...)


(My new digs, not too shabby...)

It's Sunday afternoon and just sitting here enjoying my first cup of coffee in a while. The anxiety is finally settled down to where the caffeine doesn't freak me out too much! Plus, I've been trying to avoid anything acidic as I'm trying to keep my bodies' PH level neutral or alkaline to slow down the cancer growth (or at least that's what I've read).

Been having a good time relatively speaking! I've been pretty active running and biking plus hanging out with friends and family. Strangely enough, I've gotten into cycling from a run I did earlier in the week. On my route, I found a garage sale where this sweet late 70's/early 80's vintage Fuji road bike was leaning on the corner of the garage. I stopped my run and went up and asked the nice lady how much they were asking and she told me $10!! I told her I needed to run home and grab some cash and I'd be back to buy it. What a deal! I looked on google and found people selling these bikes for anywhere between $250-$500!! Score!! I needed to clean off some surface rust and will need to replace the tires but otherwise it runs great :) I think I'm going to start hitting some more garage sales and try and make some extra money selling stuff on ebay since I'm not working (plus it's fun).



Went to my cousin Jeff's going away party yesterday and had a blast! He's been offered a job teaching in Hawaii!! I couldn't be happier for him, Jeff's a great guy and deserves it. The party itself was fun as we played what my cousin Nick called "Polish Horseshoes"! I found out the actual name of the game is "Washers". There's basically a wooden base framed with 2x4's (3 feet square approx.) with a giant sized tin coffee can bolted down in the middle. You stand about 20 feet away and try to toss 2" washers into the wooden base for 1 point and into the can for 2. If it somehow lands on top of one of the 2x4's you get three points. First team to 21 wins. Nick and I ended up taking down the champs! Good times...


(Stock picture of Washers game, our's was much more authentic ;)

So today I relax as I'm not supposed to do much physical activity. I've got a crazy day of tests tomorrow as I've got a CT/PET scheduled along with a bone marrow biopsy. I was supposed to get my scans last Thursday but there was a mistake made by someone who sent me to an off site office for scans when my protocol calls for the scans to be done at the institution that's running the clinical trial (DMC).

Once my crazy Monday is over, I fly out to Seattle on Tuesday to begin packing my stuff for the drive back to Michigan. Should be interesting sitting on a plane for 6 hours after a bone marrow biopsy... Anyway, beyond packing my stuff, I'm looking forward to another long road trip through the northern part of the country. I'll also have a human companion this time as Jackie's going to be driving home with me :D She plans to stay in the D for a while as her sister's getting married in July.

So, overall, I have to say I'm doing ok... Just trying to remember to breathe and live in the here and now through Mindfullness. It's a process but I'm getting better at it thankfully.

Happy Sunday!

3 comments:

Veronica said...

And there was me thinking that your 'washers' pic was some modern art of a smiley face!!! ;0)

You sound like you're doing great, Chris - I can only imagine the torture you're going through just now, but with the results from this latest round of tests will hopefully come answers and a plan you're happy with........thinking of you, Chris........Vx

Gail said...

Hey Chris -
Thinking of you and praying for the best. Keep the faith.
Your friend in the D. I am here if you need anything.
Gail

B. said...

You sound good dear -- I'm gonna try to catch you this afternoon after, hopefully between some of your tests.

If not, try to catch me later if you want to talk.. I'll be heading into chemo tom (tues) and not sure well i'll be able to formulate some of my ideas after my dose ;)

Sending you love,

B