Monday, October 25, 2010

Prayers for Mike

I just wanted to solicit prayers for a fellow Hodge Warrior who happens to live not too far from me in St. Clair Shores. His name is Mike and while I have never met him, I've had the pleasure of corresponding with his Mom after meeting her on our Hodgkins Lymphoma board.

Mike isn't doing very well right now... He's been fighting Hodgkins since 2002 and has had tried more treatments than anyone I know. He's had to travel to Chicago and Minnesota for clinical trials and suffers from chronic pain in his back as he has spinal disease like me. Unfortunately, because of all the treatments Mike has endured, his blood counts are also chronically low requiring constant infusions of blood products. Because of these low counts and suspicion of disease spreading he's been taken off his latest trial, RAD001, the one I was looking into next if/once the S@N stops working. Mike is currently in ICU and his Mom reports he is almost incoherent and being made to wear mittens so he doesn't pull out his IV's. She didn't mention if they have a plan yet to try and beat back the disease which is a culprit in his downturn. I sure hope they do as Mike has been one of my heroes ever since I joined the forum and especially after finding out I was refractory.

It's so hard to sit here and know this is happening to a comrade and could very well happen to me at some point. I know I speak for all my fellow Hodge Warriors when I say this. We are all happy and inspired to hear that someone is doing well but at the same time feel sadness when hearing about one suffering.

Please join me in praying/hoping for Mike and anyone else who is dealing with this messed up disease.

Thanks, Chris

3 comments:

Loraine Ritchey said...

I wish the Drs. would read the forums, maybe then they would know that HL isn't "the cancer to have" - as they told my wonderful son..... a friend in Spain just diagnosed this past week was told - "Oh don't worry HL is so treatable you won't be inconvenienced for more than a few weeks- it is not a problem cancer"

The more I read the more I worry they just aren't taking HL seriously enough.........I am so sorry ..........I watched my son on the roller coaster of hope and despair...... you are all my heroes that battle against HL - I wish I could offer more than pryaers this HL takes the brightest from us Loraine

Anonymous said...

Chris, I will remember Mike in my daily prayer intentions. It is so sad. Keep your chin up, keep praying for healing and ask that Him to show you His will for your life. God bless you always,

Signed,
Your debating political buddy, past-renter and prayer warrior.

Kathleen McPherson said...

My prayers for Mike and his mom. May He protect all of you - families, supporters and others in the cancer battle inluding our son in his battle with brain cancer. You are all my heroes and inspiration.
Kathy McPherson