Thursday, January 20, 2011

Rockin 54,000 Platelets!

That's right, scored 54K on the first try today, yee haw! Of course my new secret weapon, Pineapple had a little to do with it. Yes indeed, pineapple! I heard from the Reeds that Mike did the same thing before his blood test and it got him over the hump too. I've always loved pineapple and now I love it even more ;)

The nicest thing is once I found out they were at 54K, I immediately reached into my meds and grabbed a couple of Naproxen and within an hour, my back was feeling much better. In fact, I anticipate being able to sleep most of the night tonight without being awaken by sharp pain, awesome!

So, it was nice to see the crew at Karmanos in Detroit today. When I was getting my blood drawn, one of my friends who used to always bring me newspapers, stuff to drink, etc. (and always asked me when I was going to get married ;) gathered up all the nurses that used to treat me and they all came in the room to say hello. It was a very nice moment and made me feel good that they remembered me and were so glad to see me. It's gotta be weird not knowing if a patient you used to treat is still out there kicking and can see why they would be happy to see one of theirs doing relatively well. Like I've said before though, all of the nurses at Karmanos (especially the soul sisters) are so awesome and can always put a smile on my face :)

I'm glad I get to go back to Karmanos in between visits to NYU now :) Even though it may not be the best cancer center in the world (although it's surely far from the worst) the warmth of the staff there is enough to make you look forward to visit which says a lot...). Plus, it gives me an excuse to go downtown Detroit which I always enjoy.

Anyway, that's a quick update for now. Time to start cycle 14, amazing...

Gotta keep it going!

3 comments:

Mindy Hertzon said...

Found your blog. I am so happy for you on the 54,000 yesterday, Chris! ROCKIN'!!! WAY TO GO!!!!!!!! XO! Mindy :)

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you are hanging in there Chris. They really take care of you at KCC, and they work miracles. I always make it a point to visit around the holidays and drop off a little something, usually candy. Keep us posted on your progress. You will beat this. From a three time primary cancer survivor.

Donna said...

54,000.....that's great!!!!! Good Luck with cycle 14. Sounds like things are going well. Glad the pain is tolerable hope it goes away!!!!!! Keep enjoying life and Stay Strong!!!
Donna
boston