Thursday, January 13, 2011

Time to think...

So, it's been an enjoyable relaxing time in Soflo so far. I'm really grateful for the sunshine hearing about all of the snow all over the country...

Been feeling relatively well (think the nice weather helps this). If I could only get rid of the little knife that is constantly in my back. I don't think it will ever go away so I'm trying to learn how to be friends with it. It's tough because we really don't get along and sometimes it makes me grumpy. Not to mention, sometimes it causes me to lash out when it's probably best to keep my mouth shut. It's a constant struggle that I'm always trying to stay on top of. I think I'm going to give my little buddy (sometimes buddy's in my para-spinal area) a name. Something like Dick, Asshole, Jackass or even Shithead (stole that from Steve Martin's dog's name in "The Jerk", that movie was hilarious but I digress).

It is what it is however and I'm still truly blessed to be living the life that I am right now.

I don't know what it is but every time I come down here during season, I feel like an old fart! Everywhere I go during the day, I'm surrounded by retirees. It's pretty surreal. I went to this place called Faith Farm Ministries today as it's a huge resale complex run by people who have given their life to God (at least that's what they say) and those seeking God after prison or rehab. These people get to live on this rather large complex out in the country in exchange for work and of course good behavior. Anyway, they have an amazing inventory of resale clothing, furniture, appliances, etc. I'm in the market for a little microwave and always looking to add to my art collection with cheap finds. The only thing is I have to fight off all of the geezers! (When I say geezers, I mean the not so cool old folks. I know plenty of hip old folks!) Anyway, these people are really aggressive not only trying to get a parking spot in the lot but trying to look through some of the paintings that were donated. I had this lady grab something right out of my hand! I liked this little oil painting and before I could blink, the little old lady snatched it right out of my hand, lol! Since I was on her turf, I just put my hands up and said "it's all yours!". I then had this almost incoherent old guy come up to me a couple of times within 5 minutes asking me "where the pens were". He must have thought I worked there, lol! Who goes to a resale shop to buy pens? Sometimes I feel like I'm in the twilight zone down here but I roll with it and have fun with it.

So, I've been trying to do my laps in the pool as I haven't looked for a place to take yoga yet. I went and bought some goggles and they make all the difference in the world. That is, I can swim a straight line now whereas before I'd be zigzagging as I did my laps with my eyes closed! Apparently, doing laps in the pool is also a popular thing for the retired crowd so the goggles are necessary when I have to share the pool ;)

I forgot to update on this but I was finally notified that I can stretch my New York visits out to every six weeks!! What a relief both mentally and for my pocket book. I do a lot of walking when I go to Manhattan and after my last experience with the snow not to mention the craziness at La Guardia this is a major blessing!

That said, I'm due back for a clinic visit Feb. 10th. We've decided to just let my body tell me whats going on and take a little break from PET scans. You know PET scans can't be good for you when they tell you to stay away from children and pregnant women for 24 hours...

So, that's pretty much it for now. Just doing my best to get through winter. I feel bad for my fellow Northerners who have to deal with all the hassle of cold weather and snow. I think the people that have it the worst are those who don't have a garage and have to scrape their windshields in the morning or even worse, walk to work. Believe me, I don't take wearing shorts and flip flops for granted and hope I never have to deal with the cold again with all the crap my body has been through.

By the way, I wanted to mention something exciting that my friend Marsha has been talking about on our Hodgkins board. Apparently, there is a treatment out there right now that's been showing good success in refractory patients who carry the Epstein Barr virus (one of the only known possible causes of Hodgkins). I need to get a tumor sample over to Baylor university where they apparently take a chunk and test it. It takes six months for the test results (they have to grow something in a test tube). I really hope I have the virus as this could be my next step.

Well, that's all I've got for now. I've been holding off talking about politics and social issues lately in the spirit of keeping things lite. That's right Sarah Palin, I'm giving you a free pass on the whole cross hairs/reloading thing in the wake of the Arizona shootings. To think, this lady could have been our vice president...

I couldn't resist ;)

Peace,

Chris

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Hey Chris, The EBV test takes only a few days. They can do it anywhere and Baylor will take the written report. Good luck. Hugs, Alison

Anonymous said...

Could you tell me exactly where on the board it was mentioned about the promising drug for people who've had the Ebstein Barr Virus? Thanks in advance. So proud you continue to do well with your clinical trial.