Friday, April 22, 2011

Random Stuff

Well, I finally got internet access today in Michigan and I'm officially connected again, hooray!

It's been a bit of a challenge living here though as I don't have a shower or sink in the bathroom. I've been able to shower at friends' houses though so I manage not to get too ripe, haha.

I kinda look at it as just do what I can on these places and eventually everything will get done, right? The only question is how long is it going to take me... I'm guessing six months so here's to good health for the next six months.

Speaking of which, I think I'm in the Everolimus (RAD001) trial at Karmanos! My platelets were a whopping 94K, I couldn't believe it! The only other hurdle now is another bone marrow biopsy which will now be my 7th I believe. I still can't get used to the fact that they're sticking a huge needle into my hip to suck out bone marrow. I want to be out of it when they do it. My back is lick a freaking pin cushion, jeez. This is on the heels of one of more painful procedures I've had done in a while... When down in Florida, I got one of those gel earplugs stuck in my ear as I tore off a piece too small and it broke off in there. I tried to get it out with tweezers and all I did was push it in further. So, I went to the ENT and he didn't have his normal telescope so he basically had to "dig" it out. The first 10 or so digs weren't that bad. However, the ear can get sensitive really quick, especially the inner ear and the more he did it, the worse it got. The thing is, the piece of earplug was fused to a portion of my eardrum. He basically had to rip a scab off my eardrum to get it out. I told him it would be a great torture technique (sure it's been done). He was actually a pretty funny guy and we were joking about that scene in the Star Trek Wrath Of Kahn flik were the millipede like creature crawls into that guys ear, gross...

So, back to the trial, I just need the bmb and another PET/CT. The goal is to start next Wednesday. I'm to beware of side effects like lung complications or toxicity, low counts, rash, nausea, fatigue, loss of appetite and all kinds of other rare side effects. I'm trying not to think of any of that as it's out of my control and I have to stay balanced and keep my expectations moderate while staying hopeful. I know of people who've been on this drug for almost a year or maybe more so that's good. I'm definitely due some good luck!!

So to close this out, I just wanted to say something about my good friend Lee McPherson. As I mentioned before, hospice has been called in and they're going to do everything possible to make Lee comfortable as he leaves this world and enters into the next. It's tough for him because he can't speak right now but can squeeze his hands to communicate. My good friend and former roommate Mike is flying in from Hawaii to Pasadena to say goodbye this weekend. I wish I could go... I actually met Lee through Mike as those guys used to be roommates here in Michigan. They played in a band together called Skinmill, Mike was the drummer and Lee the base player. Lee is one of the most talented people I know. He would come over, pick up my guitar and start playing along with songs that came on the radio. He wasn't even a guitar player... Lee also is a talented writer. He used to write the Pistons blog on Mlive.com. He was a journalism major at Michigan State and I went to Michigan so we would talk a little smack here and there of course. As many of you may or may not know, Lee was diagnosed with his brain tumor like a week after I was diagnosed with my cancer so in a way, we're partners. I feel like I'm losing my partner and it really sucks. He was doing so good, beating the odds and I admired so much his calm and positive attitude. He went back to work and even went back to play with his new band. The tumor messed with his balance and motor function but would say that when he played the base, it was like nothing happened. I guess that's muscle memory for you. Anyway, I just want to say to Dana and Lee that I love you guys and wish things could be different. I'm so proud of the both of you how you went about everything with grace and courage. Lee is like a mentor of mine even though we didn't talk a lot. He's one of those guys you can pick up with right away no matter how long it'd been since we rapped. Lee is a really funny guy in zany sarcastic way. I admired his writing skills and aspired to write from reading his columns. Lee also had great taste in music and to this day, some of the indie bands he introduced me to are in my all time favorites. We really have a bond that not too many people have and I'm really going to miss the guy.

P.S. Lee really loved Jaco Pastorious.
P.S.S. I mistakenly called out Lee's blog as Third Eye Blind last time (hope you found that funny Lee ;) I was a wreck that night after the news but anyway his blog is One Quarter Blind if you would like to check it out on my list. He is and always will be a cool cat.

Here's to you Lee, you won't be forgotten brother

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thoughful words about Lee, Chris. He is indeed an incredibly talented guy. During that great Pistons run a few years back, I always read his blog first. It was so much better than your typical sports writing. And damn, that boy is as passionate a Pistons fan as there is. He stayed with me in Chicago about 5 years ago when he and my brother, Mike, were in town. I still laugh when I think of him doing his Brando impersonation, yelling "STEL-LA" all through the streets of Lakeview for some reason. You'll have to have Mike tell you about their road trip to Vegas a few months ago. Let's just say Lee wasn't the driver he used to be. Ha. We'll miss you, Lee Legend. -Dan R.

World of Isaac said...

Glad to hear you got into the trial Chris. Hit me up if you have any questions about it.

~
Isaac

mhr said...

Actually, he was always kind of a shitty driver, he just got shittier after the surgery and yes, nearly got us flattened like a pancake by an 18-wheeler on the way to Vegas last year. Holy crap I totally forgot about "Stel-la!" Classic Lee.
By the way, Lee started that blog Beyond The Arc, and then it morphed into Full Court Press and although it had some knowledgeable contributors after Lee left, none of the other writers ever came close to Lee's poignant analysis and uber-intelligent style. Mike R.