Thursday, September 15, 2011

Recovery Mode

I have to say, it's been a whirlwind since the last time I posted... Seems like right after I wrote that last one I had something going on everyday and I think it caught up with me as I'm still trying to recover.

It started with going to the ballgame two weekends ago where the Tigers were down 8-1 and there were black skies on the horizon and my buddy and I decided to leave and head home only to watch the Tigers miraculously come back and win on TV of course, ugh! Anyway, we decided to head to the free festival after in Royal Oak, "Arts Beats and Eats" where one second the guy from Foreigner was attempting to perform (it was actually pretty bad) and all of the sudden the storms that were looming down at the ballpark made there way North to Royal Oak. The next thing I know I'm scrambling to find shelter as the storm came gusting through with ferocity. It was kind of unnerving to be stuck under a tent with dozens of other people in the dark. I decided to go back out into the rain to find a better situation and found another tent that wasn't so packed but still pretty dark. That was pretty much it for the evening and jumped in the car to drive home only to find out that my street had no power, crap. I thought it would only last a couple of days - unfortunately a couple days turned into six and it got kinda creepy. So, with no power here, I decided to head down to Cleveland to catch the Tigers take on the Indians. Tickets down there were super cheap and my buddy had Hilton points so we got to stay downtown at the Hampton with parking included, perfect. Couldn't have asked for better games as we got to see Justin Verlander pitch the night game on Monday and witnessed an awesome comeback for the next day game. I even got a ball thrown to me by our best player, Miguel Cabrera. The Indian fans were so sparse we were able to sneak down right behind the Tiger dugout. Embarrassingly, when he threw me the ball, I actually dropped it, doh! The guy was nice enough to roll it back up the dugout where my buddy grabbed it and handed it to me, pretty cool!



The ball!



Me n Todd, a couple of geek baseball fans!

So, it was back to Detroit and unfortunately, my power still hadn't been turned on. In fact, turns out a Tornado came through and wiped on tons of power lines and uprooted some grand old trees. It was almost like Florida after a hurricane, tree branches and crap everywhere... Unfortunately, my ugly tree at my new place didn't get blown over but the tree I planted 13 years ago at my first place, a beautiful Bradford Pear, was blown over and all over the front yard, pretty sad.



Huge tree down in the park behind my house.



The remains of my little Bradford Pear Tree :(

As I was saying, I was now back home but it was just a shell of a home, crazy how much I depend on power! I was able to get my hands on a generator and at least had some light and could charge up my phone but that was it. The stuff in my fridge had already passed the point of no return so had to toss it all. Everything just seemed to get turned upside down, all you could hear was the loud noise of generators running all over the neighborhood, needless to say, it was tough to sleep.

I finally got my power back I think on last Friday morning thankfully. The sports madness didn't stop in Cleveland, I ended up going to the ballgame again on Friday night where they of course came back and won (ended up winning 12 straight before tonight) and the next evening, had a chance to be part of history attending the first night game at the Big House at the University of Michigan. That unto itself would've been great... What put the night over the top was the fact that one of the greatest games ever was played that evening in front of 115,000 fans. The scene was surreal, never been part of something like that. I still get a dropped stomach when I think about the energy at that game with all those people, it was something I'll never forget.



Me and Mike along with 115,000 other fans! Btw, Mike could've got big money for these tickets had he sold them but instead, invited me to go with him. Thankful to have good friends.



The mayhem after the game when Michigan scored a touchdown going 80 yards in 30 seconds, unreal!

That was last Saturday, today is Thursday and I haven't been right since. It actually started on the way home from Cleveland and hasn't resolved yet. I just don't have any energy! It's hard for me to get out of bed before noon these days. My whole body aches, especially my back. I just can't seem to get going... I had a little burst tonight and used it to clean up my place which got disgusting during the power outtage. Hoping to start feeling better tomorrow for the DIY street fair right here in my home town of Ferndale :)

I've got a scan next week on the 21st so we'll see if it's the medicine not doing it's job anymore and I have progression. I'm of course hoping for something better like maybe I'm just worn down from all the craziness but something has me a bit concerned. Let's just say I'm not as confident going into this scan as I was the last one...

Time will tell I suppose. I'll probably wait until then to update. I have the scan on Wednesday then I'm off to Seattle courtesy of my buddy Sean and the Delta buddy pass program! Chances are I'll be updating from the great northwest, should be fun :)

Until then...

1 comment:

Anastasia said...

Wow, sounds like a lot of things have been going on in your world. I am thinking of you as you go in for your scan this Wednesday, Chris! Hope you regain energy soon.