Monday, September 19, 2011

Sad News

I found out yesterday at Rich's 67th birthday party that my cousin Rodney - who'd been fighting Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma - passed away. One second we were enjoying the party then the next, those who got word, were in shock (we didn't say anything to the other side of the table as to not ruin the party). It made for a bittersweet day as we celebrated Rich (happy birthday!) and all that he's dealing with right now with his heart and having a PET positive spot on his lung. But the news of Rodney's passing made it difficult to enjoy the rest of evening...

I just talked to Rodney and his wife a couple of weeks ago regarding potential resources for information and my experience with similar treatments that we shared. He sounded hopeful and I thought they'd be able to find something either in Seattle or New York or Houston... I think the disease was pretty aggressive and didn't respond to anything for very long. I know it was causing a great deal of pain as it was in his hip. He did two nasty treatments, RCHOP and ICE. I haven't had RCHOP but know it's nasty and had ICE and I know first hand it's no picnic. He did them consecutively with no real break, pretty rough stuff for a 38-39 year old but much tougher I'm sure in your 60's. I've got a lot of respect for what he had to deal with...

My heart goes out to his wife Renee and the rest of their immediate family along with Randy and Melody.

Lymphoma is a horrible disease and know so many people struggling with it. I'm hopeful that all of the new drugs that are coming out now along with the new Gene Therapies, the research for a cure will continue to expand and continue to get funded. If you ever would like to donate to a good charity, the Lymphoma society is an excellent choice.

Rest in Peace Rodney

By the way, prayers and good thoughts for Mike Reed as he continues to fight MDS along with his Hodgkins. He has ups and downs and the latest I read today it wasn't the best news... Hoping for an upswing in blood counts and Mikes spirits. I'm going to put his Caring Bridge link up on my blog list for anyone who'd like to leave a positive message. The guy is a warrior, fighting Hodgkins for I think 8-9 years, legendary...

A bit of good news about me, I'm feeling better, more energized! I've just been sleeping like a bear lately and I think my body just needed the rest. Today was the best day yet as I did the backs splash in the kitchen in glass mosaic tile. I had energy to burn after running errands and making dinner. In other words, I felt normal today again, so nice :) I think I just have to make sure I take breaks between big events. I'm sure having a couple beers at each event contributes to my body shutting down... I just can't process alcohol anymore except for a drink here or there. The good news on that though is when I do have a drink, there's little to no pain in my back which gives me hope that everything is cool in there if you know what I'm saying ;) I'll know either way on Wednesday after an all day affair down at Karmanos starting at 9:30. Yup, part of being a guinea pig on these clinical trials means that they can shoot you up with radioactive sugar whenever they want. Seems like I have a PET scan every other month these days. Wonder if that's going to catch up with me one day...

Anyway, I got a little carried away, I wanted this post to be about Rodney only but sure he wouldn't mind.

Good night all, Chris

1 comment:

Herls said...

Chris, I hope the Tigers are making you feel better. And after you're done with your kitchen, can you come to Chicago? We need a new bathroom.