Thursday, August 21, 2008

Back to the Drawing Board...

Well, after consulting with my "team" yesterday at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance I'm sorry to say that the 2 cycles of ICE chemo didn't do what it was supposed to do and I have to start over. In other words, the chemo only held my disease stable when it was supposed to put it into remission. The doctor described it as putting a lid on boiling water. The water is boiling but none of the water has spilled out. It could be worse I guess as my disease could have progressed... That said, I need to go back to my oncologist and try a new chemo combination.

I think what they're thinking is a Gemzar based regimen to be technical. I'm hopeful that whatever I try next will get me into remission so that I can proceed to transplant. The problem is they won't let me get a transplant unless I'm in remission so I'm hoping and praying this next chemo works.

As for my state of mind, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dissapointed. Not only did I waste two months getting toxic chemicals pumped into me, the odds of me getting into remission are lower as ICE has been shown to be the most effective salvage chemo regimen according to studies.

On a positive note, Jackie and I decided to use the tickets I bought months ago for Radiohead as they played live at the White River Ampitheater in Auburn WA. We originally had lawn tickets but decided to sneak down (he he) into pavilion and ended up fairly close up center stage! Good thing too as it was raining cats and dogs for most of the show. We did get a little wet on the walk to the car but it was totally worth it as it was an awesome show. We've always wanted to see those guys and it was a concert I'll never forget.

Finally, I just wanted to mention a dear person who I haven't met in person but know from my hodgkins lymphoma forum http://forums.lymphoma.com. Her name is Bekah and she just found out her stem cell transplant failed and her cancer has come back extremely agressive and things aren't looking good. My prayers go out to her and her family and hope that they can find comfort during this rough time.

I'll probably update when I meet with Dr. Shustov (my oncologist at SCCA).

See ya

1 comment:

B. said...

Dearest Chris,

I so appreciate your kind words. But, take care of you now, love. I've seen Gemzar work magic with some people. Sometimes its just the drugs that don't react to our unique bodies, that keep us from remission.

My hope is Gemzar, and whatever they couple it with. will work for you.

Sending love,

B