Monday, August 11, 2008

Lymphedema!


Forgot to mention my Lymphadema! I had a lymph node biopsy taken from under my right arm when it was thought the my cancer was still around after my first chemo regimen. I actually had three nodes removed. Unfortunately, I developed a condition that mostly affects women who have breast cancer called Lymphodema. My right arm and hand have swollen on average three centimeters larger around than my left arm. If you look at my hand, it looks like someone smashed it with a sledge hammer! The medical reason for this is because I don't have lymph nodes present any longer, there's nothing to filter or redistribute the lymph fluid and it drains down into my arm and hand. I'm going to physical therapy where they'll wrap it to try and reduce the swelling while teaching me how to massage my other lymph nodes so they'll hopefully take over a little for the missing lymph nodes. Unfortunately my doc says this is something that I'll have to deal with for the rest of my life. I can deal with it as long as I can get rid of this cancer for good!

1 comment:

BrianJL1970 said...

Chris...thanks for sharing your experiences. I wish you the best in your up'n coming treatments. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers friend.