Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Just Another Day in Paradise!

I remember going on a fishing charter here in South Florida a few years ago and this was the answer I received when I asked a mate on the fishing charter "Sea Mist" after asking him how he was doing! You could tell he didn't have a whole lot but got to go out on the ocean everyday and do what he loved... I think he also said it a little tongue in cheeck as things arent exactly perfect here but could be a lot worse let me tell you.

So the ride down to Delray was really fun! Had a chance to stop in Nashville which was pretty cool. I had no idea how big of a city it is! Forgot they're home to two professional sports teams the Predators and Titans. It's really clean there and you could tell the music scene looms large based on driving down the streets and hearing live music pour out of the venues.



An Elvis sighting in Nashville!



Nashville also feels and looks like a big city which it is...

I then made a stop in Chattanooga as Nashville really wasn't accessible to park and hang out due to having all my stuff (including my bike) strapped to the outside of my car. Because of this I decided against crashing in Nashville and "Nooga" seemed perfect. I'm really glad I did because I had the best BBQ meal of my life at a place called "Sticky Fingers"!! I was convinced by one of the patrons to order the combo platter which consisted of a half slab of ribs and 5-7 of the meatiest chicken wings I've ever had. You get to pick your favorite sauce and I was advised to get the dry rub and then try the different sauces for dipping. It was out of this world!
After this huge meal, I had to crash and found a hotel and did just that.



The best Damn BBQ I ever had!!

The next day I decided to make a stop in Savannah GA. What a great place! I guess the best way to describe it is with a word I don't use very oftern, charming ;) There's tons of history here and the people are really friendly. The trees are great too! I guess they shot one of my favorite movies in parts of Savannah, Forest Gump. Remember when Forrest was telling his story to those folks on that bench in the park... That was Savannah :)



Ah Savannah, where Forrest said the famous line, "Life is like a box of chocolates..." How appropriate ;)



Me and my date Chili at the famous Vinni Van Coco's pizza in Savannah!



Mighty kind of a Savannah artist to display one of his "Chili originals" outside his shop, ha!

From Savannah, I decided to check out another great old American city St. Augustine! In fact, "St. Auggie" is the oldest city in the U.S. Hell, they even have an old fort there! Also had a chance to say hello to fellow Hogdkins survivor and friend Anastasia. She is just finishing up treatment and looking forward to good news on her post treatment CAT scan of NED! Go Anastasia!



The beach in St. Auggie



They have an old Fort here the Spanish used to use when they controlled Florida in the 1600's



Great old Church in St. Augustine FL

So this brings me down to my new digs here in Delray Beach Florida! I've been busy getting my place together and it's starting to come along. I'm sure I'll find some time for fun this upcoming weekend when the weather starts to cooperate a little better. It's supposed to be sunny and 80 by Thursday so I've been using the windy sometimes rainy weather to hit all the resale shops looking for furniture to outfit my condo. I'm thinking I may go all out and actually put a pool table in my living room to go along with my bachelor pad theme, ha! We'll see... I'm here until early next week some time where I'll have to drive back up to Michigan for infusion 6 of SGN-35. There starting to accumulate (the cycles) pretty quick.

With that said, I'm still doing ok except for the same ol same ol. In fact, I woke up at 3:30 this morning and couldn't go to sleep so I thought doing a post might put me to sleep. Weird when you feel the creative juices flowing...

More on Florida and it's goings on's down the road...

Sorry it took me so long to post :)

2 comments:

B. said...

Chris!

I am Soooooo jealous you're in Florida. I miss living in Jacksonville with my entire being! But, glad you're getting to soak up the rays, and enjoy the beach life. I truly hope one day to return...

We should definitely catch up soon -- I'm so sorry I've been so MIA lately. The semester and my work has me ridiclously busy, and I'm just trying to get through till I have a tiny break for the holidays.

Know I'm thinking of you lots though,
tons and tons,

So glad you're in a warm place and that the trial is working as best as it can. Stable disease is all we need, remember that!

Sending you love,

Bek :)

Heather said...

i'm so glad that you've had the opportunity to do so much traveling. that's great! and i'm enjoying the pictures.

looking forward to hearing about your floridian adventures. i live here all the time so i often miss out on the beauty and neatness, taking it for granted.

i graduated high school in delray. we spent a lot of time in downtown delray by the beach, at boston's and sitting outside little cafes drinking coffee, long before starbucks came around.