Thursday, February 5, 2009

My body is beat up...

It became pretty clear today that I still have a ways to go until I'm back to normal. I went and hit 68 golf balls yesterday and I feel like I cracked 3 ribs! It's amazing what happens to your muscles when you don't use them, they get soft and tear easily. Can't wait till I get over this constant soreness and get my strength back. I know it will happen, I just need to lower my expectations as to how soon... So, I took it easy today doing pretty much nothing and will get back out tomorrow and continue my pursuit of living a rich full life...

Pleased to report my taste buds are almost back! Eating is so much more enjoyable these days and I've been making up for lost time ;) I've gained a couple more pounds and looking to add around 10 more to get up to 180. I'm doing it sensibly though; avoiding processed foods, sugar and fatty foods. I've learned to love some foods I would never give a sniff before I got sick. Apparently, shitake mushrooms are a great anti cancer food. I decided to try em about a month ago and I'm hooked! I saute them in a little olive oil and soy and they melt in your mouth... I'm also drinking a lot of green tea which is so amazingly good for you. To keep it interesting, I've stocked up on three different kinds, orange jasmine, pomegranite and lemon. Unfortunately, I still crave some things that aren't so good for you too -- I think I might splurge this weekend and go out and get a nice juicy steak! I haven't eaten beef for a while and now that my taste buds are coming back, I think I can enjoy it. Mmmmm, steak.....

By the way, while I'm thinking about it, please take the time to read one of the most thoughtful, inspirational and beautiful blog entry's you'll ever read from fellow Hodge survivor Bekah http://truebeautyneverhurries.blogspot.com/. You don't have to have cancer to be inspired by her mindful view on life with refractory Hodgkins Lymphoma.

Less than two weeks till our long weekend trip, can't wait!

Cheers!

2 comments:

Veronica said...

It must be incredibly hard not to overdo it when you get a burst of energy and a sense of 'normality'......but sounds like you're paying the price - hope the soreness goes quickly :0(

And yeah - Beautiful B is an amazing lady - very proud to have met her in person :0)...she's all that and more......Vx

B. said...

Chris,

You are so sweet.. but, they are just thoughts. Nothing more, nothing less.

I am so pleased you're getting back in the swing of things. When I started working out after transplant. It would be more of a two steps forwards, one step back kinda thing.

Again, take things one day at a time, you're body will really start to bounce back in these next few months.

Enjoy your weekend my dear!
Sending Love,

B