Monday, May 10, 2010

Last Day in New York


"Live Your Life" taken in Times Square

Here in the waiting area on the 7th floor at NYU. Today's a good day as I will no longer have to come here once a week for blood draws and doctor visits! From here, I'll only need to come every 3 weeks to refill my pills and do the required blood draw and doc visit. This should be a lot easier on the wallet as I've been hemmoraging money on plane tickets not to mention how expensive everything is in New York. I just ordered a corned beef sandwich and a Mr. Pibbs for lunch at this deli down the street and it was $16.22!!

It's going to be nice to relax in one location for a couple of weeks and not have to worry about travelling...

That said, it's been a fun week! Had dinner with friends in the West Village last week, Saturday night checked out Harlem for a bite and then to this great little spot for an open reggae jam. I'm also getting better with the subway system after taking it down to Wall St. to watch the Hockey game and get a little New York history lesson from my buddy. He showed me the spot where George Washington was first inaugerated, the site where Alexander Hamilton is buried and also checked out the site where the twin towers used to stand. It's amazing how large of an area that is... I wish I had my camera :( Apparently politics have really slowed down the process of building something else as you'd think they would have built something there by now...

I've been doing a lot of walking on this trip and have to say it's been my favorite activity! I just put my headphones in and take in all the energy and the great people watching. I walked down to Times Square from the Hope Lodge and it was such a surreal experience! Little did I know that right after I did that walk there was a mysterious cooler (or something) that had to be opened by one of those robots as it was suspected as a bomb. It's so wild here that people have to be on their toes at all times. I was blown away to find out why they didn't have water on the golf course when I played earlier in the week. Apparently, they don't want to take the chance of someone poisining the coolers, crazy. Why is it only like this in New York? I've played courses in Florida, Michigan, California and Washington and never heard of anything like this. Why do people want to harm New Yorkers so much? I don't get it...


Times Square is crazy...

It's been so much easier with this being my off week taking the pills. My schedule is 14 days taking the pills and one week off. So, I start again tomorrow... Toward the end of the last 14 days I was given a tip of taking the Niacinamide pills with yogurt. This seemed to work much better than grinding them up as I didn't have to taste them! The yogurt coats the pills and they go down with no problem. I was worried that they might sit in my pipes and want to come back up but fortunately haven't had that problem. I still felt woozy for a couple hours after taking them but that was it.

So it looks like I'll be moving back to Michigan almost full time starting in July. My tenants in my place in Ferndale are having a baby and want to buy their own house. Can't say I blame them. So, I'll be moving back for a few months and plan to enjoy the beautiful Michigan summer. I'll still be coming down to Florida to keep up my place there as I hope to still have it for when the weather starts changing in October. At least that's the plan for now and of course in contingent upon my health holding up God willing.

Speaking of my health, I have to say I'm still feeling fairly decent relatively speaking. Like I said, this is my off week for the pills so of course that plays a big part. That said, my energy has been decent, my back pain is tolerable and my muscle function improves every day. I wish I could say the same for a couple of friends of mine. My friend Bekah has been struggling with an assortment of issues for a while now and just found out her disease has grown through the first couple cycles of SGN-35. She was on the smaller dose and there's hope that by increasing the dose it'll have a better effect. Rooting for you Bek! Also found out that my friend Marsha who was doing an experimental RIT trial had her disease progress through the first dose, ugh... I know the both of them will find the right combination though... However, it really hits home knowing that at any minute my disease can decide to get ugly on me and start progressing. Hell, it could be doing that right now for all I know. I've talked about this before but the trick is to try and keep this thought out of my mind and just enjoy feeling ok right now because you never know...

Anyway, my thoughts and prayers go out to my friends and anyone else who is dealing with this stupid disease.

Alright, I need to find out what the holdup is here as I've been waiting for over two hours now to see the doctor.

Next update to come from Florida :)

4 comments:

Angie Nader said...

i'm happy that you are feeling good. and i really hope that the pills your takeing works for you.
seriously its so sad that everytime i hear people talk of hodgkins...they call it the good cancer (as if having any cancer is a good thing)...when so many people are struggling to fight this horrible dieses. i orgiginally found your blog a few months back while doing a search on sgn35, my husband started his first treatment of sgn35 april26th...and after 2 bone marrow transplants and numerous chemos, 4 years worth....i pray it works.
i also pray that your friends bekah and marsha will start responding to their treatment. latley it seems that even many famous people are being diagnosed with hodgkins...i wish they find a cure...or something that works for the 10% who continue to relapse.
i'll keep you in my good thoughts!

Veronica said...

New York is a city I'd love to visit......I'm enjoying exploring it with you, though Chris! :0)

My love goes out to B and M - just hate the bad news, but just goes to show how fragile this life is and how we have to live it exactly as you are.....making the most of every single second.......keep living the life, Chris..........Vx

Rob said...

Reading your blog, you asked why they want to hurt New Yorkers so much.....could it be that they REALLY don't like the Yankees? On that note, taking 2 out of 3 wasn't too bad for the Tigers. Enjoy the sun and hope to see you soon.

Rob

Karen said...

My son Tim Strohmeyer is in the sgn trial at NYU with O'Connor. He started in March. His first scan was fair so they decided to keep going. He will have another scan in two weeks. He found your blog while searching for side effects on the sgn35 & shared it with me. He was diagnosed with Stage IVb, Hodgkins, Nodular Sclerosis type after being treated for one year with allergies. He had 8 cycles of ABVD, 2 cycles of ICE in Pittsburgh, PA & then transferred to Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC. He entered a trial there in July 2008 (Bendamustine) which brought him to an Allo transplant in November 2008. His brother was the donor. In March 2009 we found out it was unsucessful. He lived at the Hope Lodge in NYC from 12/08 until 7/09! He has since been in trials (gemcitabine based) & had a couple cycles of old fashioned MOPP. Still no success. The bulk of his disease started in his chest and has since broken through to two areas of his spine and is within his liver, bone areas, pelvis, neck, etc. The goal is to get things under control & within range of another transplant using his sister as a donor (she too is a match!)

Your blog has been incredibly "validating" for Tim in so many ways. Your honesty in sharing side effects & personal feelings have been reassuring to him to know someone else is going through this hell as well.

Karen Conrad
ldklconrad@yahoo.com