Saturday, October 4, 2008

PAIN!!

Don't mean to sound like a downer but I need to vent here... I've pretty much been out of commission for the past week plus dealing with a severe case of mucositis and a nasty scrotal rash. Things I took for granted like eating, talking, swallowing, walking etc. have been extremely difficult lately! Everyone told me that this chemo (GND) was supposed to be so mild and well tolerated... It's been anything but for me. I'm thinking it's probably because my body has become so immunosuppressed from successive chemo's and needs a break. That said, I have one more cycle of this stuff scheduled for next Wednesday (if things clear up) then moving on to stem cell transplant. I'm concerned because the chemo used for the SCT is known to be much harsher and more likely to cause severe side effects. You know what they say though, one day at a time...

For anyone out there that has to deal with chronic acute pain on a daily basis, (i.e. rheumatoid arthritis, shingles, etc...) I tip my hat to you. I remember when my Unlcle Rob was sick and going over to visit and noticing how irritable he was (God I wish I could talk to him right now). When you're constantly in pain, you can't function as a normal human being. Thank God I have pain meds and topical numbing agents for my mouth (they call it Magic Mouthwash!).

I received two units of Red Blood Cells today (RBC's). I already notice a slight difference in my energy level and hope it'll facilitate healing in the other areas of my body.

Thanks for reading by bitch session and sorry for not updating for a while. Despite my negative tone right now, I am so thankful and grateful to be alive! I dream about the day when all of this is just going to be a bad memory. A year or two from now, the only way I'll remember this is by looking back and reading my posts.

God has a way of helping us selectively forget about the painful experiences in our life...

4 comments:

dave said...

Hey Chris, it's gnowk from the lymphoma board.

Glad to hear that the GND is working and you'll be moving on to your SCT soon.

I got some serious rashes (scrotal among others) during my 2nd transplant, probably from the Cytoxan. They gave me a cream called silverdine, which is used to treat burns. Try that and see if it helps.

Hope you're able to eat with the mucositis.

Gail said...

Hey Chris -

Sorry to read that you are not tolerating the GND as well as you had initially. Thankfully, it will be over soon..... and you will be on to the next challenge. Remember everyone is different. Here's hoping you whoop the SCT chemo's butt!
Hang in there. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Gail

Uncle Tom said...

Hey Chris,hang in there and try to keep your positive attitude,it will help you beat this nasty thing. Hopefully some of these side affects will go away and you can move on to bigger and better things. Thanks for the updates on your blog it keeps us all informed. Hey under a different note. Go Wings they raise the banner this Thursday. Cant believe its already that time of the year.Take Care Love Uncle Tom and Auntie Linda

amerchick said...

Chris - it's Jill - your old co-worker. Rick told me you had a blog so I wanted to say "Hello" and I have been thinking about you! Good luck with everything and we will keep you in our thoughts.