Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Clinic Appt. Today




(Pic taken of Wild Peacock's roaminig at Chateu St. Michele Winery last weekend)

Saw the elusive Dr. Shustov today... It's the first time I've seen him since since I was transferred down from the transplant team. He said my blood counts are coming along ok but cautioned it's going to be a while until they're normal. My marrow is still recovering and may take a year to bounce all the way back. I was comforted by him saying he doesn't think the uptake that was found in my brain (after my PET) was anything to worry about. He mentioned that if it was something serious, I would have full on symptoms and would know something was wrong. I asked him if full on symptoms would include absent mindedness, having trouble thinking clearly or basically having multiple daily brain farts...? He responded by reminding me that I've had enough chemo and radiation in the last 12 months to kill an elephant -- I was mildly reassured... ;)

We also discussed my chronic back pain and he told me he was going to consult with the radioligist to review my most recent CT scan. There's no mention of scar tissue on the last report and I want to know why I have to continue to take pain medication to get through the day (maybe this explains some of the brain farts) :-D

I was just interrupted by Chili having a crazy dream! I always wonder what dogs are dreaming about when they start kicking and crying in their sleep. Maybe it's because I've been trying to establish myself as the "pack leader" the last couple of days (watching too much dog whisperer!). We went for a walk today and I was trying to keep her by my side and control the walk (she's normally all over the place). I was looking away and ended up stepping on her and went tumbling down (the kind of tumble where you take 2-3 staggered steps and then finally wipe out). The thing about it is I had the leash shortened and I dragged her along as I was trying to break my fall. I ended up skinning my hands and arm on the street while completely traumatizing poor Chili... I guess this explains the nightmare!

Funny, I was just watching Donald Trump on Larry King. Larry King goes through the litany of questions regarding the financial crisis, Obama administration, yada yada yada. Pretty boring... He then asked Trump what he would do about the Somalian pirates and I loved his answer. He said you have these huge ships the size of football fields being taken over by 3-4 guys on a "rowboat with an Evinrude motor". He goes on to say that all you need is one sharpshooter on the ship like the one's that took out the 3 pirates a few days ago. "That rowboat gets within 400 yards of the ship and you send out a warning..." If they don't listen, well I can't write it as funny as Trump said it... I normally don't like him but that was pretty good. I don't understand why this whole pirate thing is a big deal?! These guys have pea-shooters on a rowboat and they're taking over these huge ships, holding people hostages, threatening lives?! WTF!!

My trip's starting to come together... I went to Sears and bought my car top carrier and put it on yesterday. Just as fast as I put it on I almost ripped it off by forgetting it was on and bashing it on a cement overhang in the parking structure at the SCCA today! A couple of scratches but it's still intact thankfully. I think I'm going to camp near Crater Lake National Park my first day and Redwood National Park my second. From there, I'll be going down to L.A. to stay with a couple of friends. I talked to my buddy in Vegas today and will be making a pit stop there too... From there, I'm thinking of camping near White Sands NM then heading to Austin TX (stopping at points in between). From there it's Biloxi, New Orleans then Florida! After a nice rest in Florida, time to head north and home to Michigan and the D!! I'm getting excited (and a little nervous...)

Happy Trails!

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Glad you've been reassured by your doc visit........it's always good to be reminded just how much you've been through and that your body's aches and pains are all in response to that.

Your trip sounds fantastic - but I have to admit to laughing out loud at the thought of you nearly crashing and ripping off your roof box!! - how long do you reckon your road trip will take?

Just great to hear you so upbeat......Vx

Adrienne said...

Hey, Your trip sounds GREAT. Give us a call when you're in LV. We'd love to get together. Glad you're doing so well. Hugs, Alison (Adrienne's mom)