Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Talking myself down...

So, the Tigers blew it... What a letdown. Not only do I feel bad for myself as a fan but for all the people in Detroit who were looking for something to rally around as the city and state continue with the highest unemployment in the country. I put a lot of time and effort into rooting these guys on this year and to say I'm deflated is an understatement. I probably went to 10-15 games and caught most of the others on tv, that's a lot of time! To have a division title in your grasp only to let it slip out of your fingers the last game is heartbreaking! I know this may sound crazy to those of you who aren't sports fans but with all the stuff that I'm going through, this season was a great escape from my troubles and have to say I'm having a hard time getting over this, (lol)! If you didn't know by now, I'm a bit of a sports fan ;)

Now that I think about it though, I realize how silly it is getting too caught up into the fortunes of a professional sports franchise. First and foremost, these athletes are doing this for a living. Don't get me wrong, there are some athletes who are in it for their passion for the game and genuinely are concerned with doing everything they can to help their team win. However, there are far too many that are only in it for the paycheck and don't really care if their teams win or lose or what the fans think. Case in point, our best and highest paid player Miguel Cabrera ($20 mil a year) chose to go out last Friday with players from the other team and proceeded to get so drunk he blew a .26 at 6:00 a.m. the following morning (after his wife called the cops on him for being beligerant)! .26 is over 3x the legal limit to drive and at .35 one would need to be admitted to the hospital for detox! This is the night before the biggest game of the year... It is hard enough to hit a 95 mile an hour fastball when you have a clear head. It's no wonder he went 0-4 with the doozy of a hangover he must've had. So, that performance was bad enough in such an important game... To make matters worse and in my mind causing irrepairable damage, the team must've been so distracted and let down tonight knowing their best player was out partying like a rockstar with the other team before such a big game. Who knows, maybe the other guys will forgive him and move on... He is only 26 years old and God knows I did some stupid stuff when I was his age. That said, he's going to have to work pretty hard to earn back my (and I'm sure plenty of other Detroiters) trust who he let down with his bad decision.

So now that I got that off my chest I feel better! I can understand why blogging is so popular, it's such a great way to blow off steam! There is a lot to be said about getting your feelings out (not just about baseball but everything!). I wonder if psychologists recommend blogging as therapy! I mean you're not hurting anybody and it's a great way to brush up on your typing skills, ha! Even if nobody is reading this, I still feel like I'm releasing stress and if nothing else, entertaining myself ;)

Ahhh, blogging....

1 comment:

Veronica said...

And entertaining others ;0)

I don't get the passion about sport - I mean, I enjoy watching some sports, but can't get worked up about it like you and my hubby do!! Maybe it's just cos I'm not a bloke!!

GO BLOGGERS!......:0).......Vx