Thursday, October 8, 2009

SGN-35 #4


Downtown again at Karmanos for round 4... The computers are down today so I've been sitting here bored for a while and thought I'd throw some b.s. out into the blogosphere!

Dr. Ram just came in and informed me of a new Hodgkins trial they're considering signing up for, RAD001. Apparently, it's a renal cancer drug that's shown some activity in Hodgkins. He said the phase one data showed a response rate of 50% for trial participants. Not great but it's an option just in case the SGN-35 stops working.

I got excited here for a second, one of the nurses said a vendor brought in pizza and pasta! I was looking forward to that for lunch instead of the smushed turkey sandwich they brought me. Turns out the pizza was for the folks in the finance department. Kinda sums up the state of affairs in the health care system these days...

Even though I may complain about this place (Karmanos) a bit, I have to say that everyone here is very nice :) All of the nurses go out of their way to make sure I'm comfortable and even the janitor lady checks in on me and offers me a newspaper, something to drink, etc. Have I ever mentioned that Detroit people are the best?! One thing about us Detroiters, we are genuine people, there is no facade... Usually, what you see is what you get. I've lived elsewhere in the country and that's not always the case. I think the term "keeping it real" originated in Detroit, ha! Another observation I've made since moving back here is that us Detroiters or Michiganders in general definately have an accent! I never noticed it growing up here but now can tell... I won't go as far as saying it's a Fargo accent (you betcha!), but it's definately there. Kinda like a hybrid of a Canadian accent mixed with a Chicago accent if that makes any sense. Of course here in the city, it's totally different as most people speak in ebonics. So, depending on where you live, you're going to hear different "dialects" if you will. To further complicate this discussion, I forgot to mention we have the city of Dearborn (just outside Detroit) which has the highest concentration of Lebanese people outside of Lebanon (and some great food!) as well as Hamtramck which is a big Polish community (my peep's!). I can't forget Mexicantown near the bridge to Windsor and of course Greektown! Detroit is quite the melting pot and there's so much soul here...

I was thinking of taking a drive up Woodward on my way home. BTW, Woodward ave. is the first ever paved road in the U.S.! Kinda makes sense with the automobile industry being born here and all ;) Anyway, they're shooting a movie a couple blocks away from the hospital on Woodward. It's crazy how many shows and movies have been shot here in the last few years. Three that I know are 8 Mile, Gran Torino and the HBO series "Hung" among others. I can't remember the name of the movie they're shooting now but will try and take some pictures and post in my next blog.

Anyway, my nurse just came in and needs to draw some blood from a different vein and take my vitals, gotta go!

Hope all's well :)

4 comments:

Veronica said...

Wow! You down-graded SGN!!! ;0)

Hope this dose goes easy on you and hard on the beast........Vx

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up on RAD001!! Will have to check out the research. Here's hoping they keep finding new stuff!

Anastasia said...

Chris, I really enjoy listening to the tunes on your page! U've got great taste in music. :) I hope today's SGN is treating u okay and kicking the Hodge out out out. You are awesome.

Annis said...

Hi Chris. I'm ancient, like your parents, but I finally found your space and am enjoying reading it. Brings back both happy and sad memories for me. Actually updates me on Detroit since we live up here in the boonies. Have a wonderful trip. Am anticipating your next pictures. Love and happy thoughts to you,
Annis Sabotka