Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to my few loyal readers! It's nice to be home after two years straight of being in treatment and not able to travel. This time last year it was just my Mom, my cousin Kenny and me out in Seattle. While we had a great time, it felt like I was in jail or something not being able to do what I wanted...

Yesterday I hung out at my Mom's and the family all came over for dinner and to exchange gifts. It was nice to see everyone and just relax (although I was super tired from not being able to sleep the previous night from muscle aches). Today was nice too hanging out at my Dad's although I had to cut it short due to radiating shooting pain in my arm and hand. We were watching the latest Star Trek movie and I felt like there was acid flowing through my veins in my right arm. Yes, Santa brought the SGN-35 pain back just in time for Christmas ;) He also brought me a painkiller which I just took and will hopefully take a nice nap.

It was interesting last night watching this special on CNN called the history of Jesus. I had no idea that Christians didn't start celebrating Christmas until 400-500 years A.D. It was also interesting learning about the brutal Titus and the Nostic scriptures that were found centuries later. If anyone has a chance to watch that program On Demand or something, I recommend it.

So it's time to go down for a nap and let this pill hopefully work it's magic. Counting down until Monday where I go in for my all important PET/CT scan. I'll be finding out if my disease is stable or better so that I can continue on the trial. I've been thinking about my options lately if the scan is favorable... This pain is getting unbearable and seriously starting to hinder my quality of life (after the first week of infusion). I read a post by a fellow Hodgkins survivor/friend who said that she was going to ask her doctor if she could take a break from the trial and go back on at a later date for compassionate use as she too is suffering from debilitating side effects. Like I previously stated, there's a new drug getting ready to start here at Karmanos called RAD001. I was thinking that I could possibly stop the SGN-35 trial and get on this other one. I'll only do this though if I have the option of getting back on SGN as the overall response rate for RAD is 50% and obviously the most important thing right now is managing the disease (even if it means permanent nerve damage). I know this sounds crazy but such is life with refractory cancer, you just don't have many good options.

Anyway, seems like this has turned into sort of a bummer post but I have to get this stuff out or it eats away at me... Other than the obvious, life is good however and I'm just glad to be alive and feel relatively well (I stress relatively).

I hope that whoever reads this has had an enjoyable holiday and thanks to everyone who has been so caring and supportive to me, you know who you are :)

Peace



Santa brought Chili the biggest rawhide I've ever seen! Thanks Uncle Tom / Aunt Linda!



Blurry but funny :D



My new stepniece Maddy and Elmo!

1 comment:

Anastasia said...

Oh my gosh,that is a huge bone. Dear Chris, Thinking about you this Christmas! Well it is the day after Christmas. But I am still thinking about you. In regard to the history of Jesus and Christianity, I agree wholeheartedly that it is very interesting stuff! I took a class in college called "Jesus the Christ" and it was all about investigating the historical Jesus. Very, very interesting. Anyway, take good care of yourself sweetie.