Sunday, December 20, 2009

Tis the Holiday Season!



My Delray family, from left Elise, Ramil, Dan, Celia :)

I'm starting to feel it! Even though I'm living down in the tropics, I'm starting to get into the holiday spirit. People here in Florida seem like they go over the top when it comes to celebrating maybe because it's not so "Christmasy" here without the cold weather and snow. I was out at this local pub last night and people were coming in dressed in holiday outfits, santa get ups, crazy Christmas hats etc... It was funny and festive and everyone seemed to be in a good mood :)

I've really been enjoying the outdoors too having been fishing, snorkeling and today surfing! They were all fun with interesting little things happening during each activity. First, there was the noseeum attack at John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo FL. I had just finished an awesome snorkeling session where I had a chance to swim with a huge school of parotfish right off the bat... The rest of the session was all gravy including the boat ride back which was awesome as the sun was setting. It got weird from here... I was in the parking lot getting my stuff together when all of the sudden I started feeling little pricks on my left arm. I looked down and there were a couple of these tiny bugs with wings. I started to swat the things off and before I knew it, I was covered... I couldn't get them all off of me and had to start the car and drive so the wind would blow em away. Unfortunately, the damage had been done... I counted last night and I have over 80 super itchy bites all over my arms, legs, chest, neck, scalp (somehow) and face. In fact, the other night I was awaken a couple times because I was so itchy, man... It's 4 or so days later and I'm still itching but think the worst is over.



These are almost as itchy as when I had the "Hodge Itch"



The boat ride out to Pennekamp State Park snorkeling



The "pigeons" at Pennekamp State Park, ha!



Pennekamp State Park lagoon

Went out fishing the other day and it was really fun too. The seas were 2' or less and I was on a 50 something foot party boat. It was a little crowded with 18 people but still managed to catch 10-12 fish and a couple of keeper Mutton Snapper. I didn't think I was going to make it out as my buddy and me were sitting up top and all of the sudden the aluminum supports holding up the canopy snapped and one of the rods fell squarely on my arm, yikes! That was pretty painful and they had to pull out the first aid kit and bandage me up. Playing hard! There was an old guy next to me and I thought he was dead as he laid on the deck motionless... I think he was looking for a big payday after finding out the thing didn't even touch him, funny. So needless to say, I really worked for my dinner on this fine day :) Good times!



Mmmmm, Mutton Snapper!



The fish look small but they're legal, 16". I caught larger Red Grouper but they have to be much bigger to keep. That little white spot on the collar of my t-shirt is from a bird who was having target practice out on the water, lol.

Which brings me to todays surfing session. The air temperature was actually colder than the water. I had to bust out my wetsuit and glad I did because it was still a little chilly with it on. It was really beautiful out on the water, wow. Even though I didn't catch any waves, it was great just getting exercise paddling and as you'll see by the pics, the sky was unbelievable :) I borrowed my buddy's board and thinking of getting my own now after such a great experience out there.



Some guy catching a ride on the inside at Delray Beach



The "natural area" between A1A and the ocean at Delray Beach



The sky was beautiful this evening, imagine looking up at this from the water!



You really forget about all of your worries when you're out on the water, at least I do... So glad I feel good enough to be able to do all this stuff and hope I can for at least the rest of this winter.

As far as how I'm feeling, it's been pretty good so far after my infusion which was 10 days ago. I haven't had the the muscle aches except for here and there in my arms and hands. My back's been feeling ok (actually no pain after a drink). In fact, without sounding cocky because I'm sure I'm wrong, but I think my disease is minimal right now. Hoping I'm right and it stays this way until my PET scan on the 28th. One thing that seems to be getting worse though is the neuropathy as my hands are getting pretty numb. In fact, I had a hard time putting the hook through the sardine when I was fishing. I'm still able to type and play my guitar so that'll be my baseline. If I can no longer type or play, I'll have to get off the trial. I plan to ask for a new medicine next time I go in called Lyrica as some of my Hodge collegues have reported success with it.

That's it for now, hope to post around Christmas.

Happy Holidays Everyone!!

2 comments:

Anastasia said...

I love your Christmas tunes! Ha ha. Thank you because they made me smile. That one about Santa is pretty funny. Great sky/cloud pics too. Thinking about you!

Debbi said...

Chris:
I just saw your blog on John Pennekamp and it brought back so many memories. When I was growing up (in Miami) my grandparents lived on the ocean in Key Largo and I stayed with them a alot. I would take a bus there & back and stay for most of the summer. Who wouldn't? I dated a guy there who worked @ John Pennekamp Park & it was awesome! We got to take out the boats and pretty much do whatever we wanted. Oh, those were the days ! It still looks beautiful. I haven't been back in almost 30 years, so thanke for the trip down memory lane.
I want you to know that I think of you often and am so sorry that you've been having such a rough time. It really, truly does suck. There is just no nice way to put it. I will be praying for you. You are so special. I love your smile - keep doing it.