Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fun in NYC!

Well I'm sitting here in my room watching the Mets Tigers game and enjoying the commentary of Jerry Seinfield! I guess he's a pretty big Mets fan and seems to know his stuff about baseball.


Citi Park (formerly Shea Stadium)

I went to the game at Citi Park last night and while it was a blast, the game was painful to watch. It was one of the worst perfomances I can remember by the Tigers and to add insult to injury, it rained cats and dogs at the game! It was fun taking the Subway through Queens and checking out all the graffiti. There's one area in an old warehouse district where they actually showcase the graffiti and it's growing... Wish I could've snapped some shots but the train was so packed and we blew by it pretty quick. The ballpark itself is pretty nice after they renovated it prior to last year. I've now been to 8 different ballparks and have to say Citi Park is right up there with some of the better new parks.

Today was fun as I took the train downtown and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge! My friend Paulette joined me and we ended up getting a pizza at the famous Grimaldi's which I had seen on the Food Network. It's heralded as the best pizza in New York and certainly didn't dissapoint. They use a different type of cheeze than mozzarella and every pie has fresh sweet basil baked in which is awesome. The place does an incredible business as I've tried to eat there 2 other times but the line was always too long. We still had to wait in line today but it wasn't as bad plus I wasn't as hungry as the last couple of times.


The Brooklyn Bridge!


Grimaldi's Pizza in Brooklyn. Looks like a hole in the wall but there's always a line to get in and the pizza is incredible!

Speaking of being hungry, I'm still having trouble with my appetite because of the SAHA Niacinamide. The Marinol has been helping but it has its drawbacks ;) Namely, the impaired state it induces... It'd be fine if I was at a concert or something but having to figure out how to get to Midtown from Brooklyn via subway (not being familiar with the train system) can be a problem... I got a little nervous when I got on the F train earlier thinking it was going to take me to Midtown only to find out that the train I was taking was going into the heart of Queens, yikes. Funny how the scenery changes once you start heading into the sketchy areas of New York. Once I realized I was going the wrong way, I jumped off the train to head back and not only was the scenery different in the station (i.e. dirtier, dingier), the station itself smelled like a toilet, nasty. I guess you could say my heart rate was a little elevated at this point, ha! So, to make a long story short, I was able to figure it out and took the F train to the A train to the E train and ended up at my destination which was the World Trade Center site (to take some pictures). The last time there, I didn't have my camera and wanted to capture what it looks like barron before they construct the next tower.


Hard to believe the twin towers used to stand here....

So, I have a blood draw and Dr. O'Connor appt. tomorrow at 9:00. From there, I'll probably jump in a cab and head straight to the airport for my 12:50 flight. Should be a pretty exciting morning...

Ok, back to the game... Go Tigers!!

3 comments:

Marlene said...

Hi Chris - I love that you were able to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge!! Of course I loved your entire post but given the problems you've had in the past I kinda see it as a freedom walk....

Still cheering you on and walking quietly beside you on your travels... You are the essence of the phrase 'living with cancer'..

Marlene

becky mancik said...

I went to brooklyn to visit a friend 2 weeks ago and we tried to eat at the pizza place and the line was almost 2 hours long, I hope it was as yummy as it looked

Veronica said...

Loving that you're making the most of every visit to NYC!! Hope your appt with Dr O' was a good one........Vx