Thursday, June 3, 2010

Stable!


Shot at Montauk Downs Golf course at the tip of Long Island yesterday.


So, just got back from the NYU with some decent news! Well, I guess you can call stable disease decent as it's not good but not bad. I'll take it :) Also, my platelets went up a couple of points to 50K so I barely made the threshold to continue on S&N.

One bit of interesting news which could just be spindoctoring by Dr. O is that my SUV levels have all gone up (which to me is a scary thing) but my disease has stayed essentially the same size. Dr. O mentioned that in many instances an increase in SUV levels (or uptake) while disease size remains stable is a good indicator that a response is right around the corner. Who knows what to believe but it looks like I'm going to continue on this therapy for the time being and see if his theory is true. I have the other trial in Detroit cued up just in case so I feel comfortable regarding my options...

The weather here in New York has been great! It's a little cooler than Florida (if you can say 80 is cooler ;) and I'm not sweating as much! Had a fun day yesterday renting a car with my friends and driving up through the Hamptons and eventually ending up in Montauk which is the very tip of Long Island. I played golf at this nice State Park course called Montauk Downs and was playing pretty well until I received a phone call. It was Sean my trial coordinator letting me know that I needed to come in to the clinic at 1:15 to see Dr. O'Conner. I did the dumb thing and asked him if he had my scan results yet and he declined to provide me any details saying that "it's complicated" (he was just doing his job). So, of course I proceeded to freak out and from that point on couldn't concentrate on hitting a golf ball. Amazing how much of a mental game golf is... It really doesn't matter now however as I'm just glad to find out my disease hasn't progressed and I can continue on this therapy as I've made a pretty substantial investment in time and money getting this thing up and running.

I was able to regroup after the golf game though and we stopped at a roadside seafood joint on the way back and I ordered a fresh 1 1/2 pound lobster! I wanted to treat myself after all of the anxiety I had just endured and it didn't dissapoint. Couldn't take any pictures though as I forgot my camera and the batteries on my phone had died, mwah mwah mwah...

So, from here I'm due back in nyc in three weeks. The Tigers are in town at that time playing the Mets so I think I'll try and get to a game.

I wasn't quite ready to say goodbye to New York so this is pretty cool!

Anyway, thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm off to Seattle next week so the adventure continues :)

Good times!

5 comments:

Donna said...

Glad you can continue treatment!!!
Hoping Dr. O is right and your response is right around the corner. Sending you lots of positive thoughts his theory is true!! Keep fighting and stay strong!!
Keep enjoying life and STAY STRONG!! You will win this battle!!
Donna, Boston

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! I smiled when I saw the title of this post :)

So glad to hear you're stable and hope that the "response around the corner" theory turns into a reality soon!

Hope to see you when you're in town!

Meghan

Veronica said...

Geez - adventure is right! What a rollercoaster.....I'm pretty sure you never wanted a dull life, but this is all pretty extreme! ;0)
I, for all I have never met the man, have a lot of faith in Dr O' and hope that in this case he's right and your next scan shows that the corner has indeed been turned...........Vx

Gail said...

great news chris!!! so happy for you :)

Angie Nader said...

wishing your response to the treatment is close :)