Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Through the fire

Whew, made it out of that alive, thank God. That was a pretty nasty whatever it was and glad it's gone. All I have to deal with now is the mouth/throat sores and an ever increasing itchy rash that seems to move around my body. It's been especially bad on the backs of my legs and calves. I don't think it's the Hodgkins itch though, more of a surface itch.

So, I'm back here in gloomy Michigan! This spring apparently has sucked so far just like the winter. Even though I was sick, glad I had a chance to get a few days of sun down in Delray :) I'm hopeful that by this weekend the weather will get nicer, seems to help everything up here... One nice thing is I've had some bare patches in my lawn that I've put grass seed down and it seems to be taking because of the rainy damp weather! My neighbor was joking that we're going to have "yard wars" now that there are four of us who are either unemployed or work from the house. I really dig gardening (no pun intended, haha) for the aesthetic aspect of it plus it's very relaxing to boot. I have years to catch up on these guys tho as this house had been a rental for years and nothing had been done as far as raking leaves (thus the bald spots) or weed control. I went over with a layer of weed and feed and the dandelions just laughed at me! In fact, I think it caused them to grow even more. Had to go buy some heavier duty stuff and we'll see who's laughing after they get a dose of ACE hardware's finest, ha!

I'm really liking my projects although at the same time can be a major source of stress. I realize it's a process but sometimes it gets difficult living in chaos (as if my life isn't chaotic enough). Yesterday, I was hanging greenboard in my new to be remodeled bathroom and the most dubious luck you could have, drilled a drywall screw dead center right through my hot water feed pipe. I knew something was wrong after the screw was halfway in and I heard a sound that best resembles the first turn of the cap on a bottle of pop/soda. I wasn't exactly sure what it was and decided to back the screw out and the next thing I know, there's hot water shooting across my bathroom all the way into my bedroom! I tried for a second to put something over it but then quickly realized I needed to get to the basement to shut of the water supply. By then, the damage had been done and because it's an upstairs bedroom, the water came through the ceiling into the kitchen, yikes. I forgot how fun this stuff is ;)

So I'm off to the hardware store to look for a coupler to fix the hole in the pipe then will get back to putting the bathroom together.

Hopefully everything else will start falling into place after that.

Speaking of falling into place, one nice thing is I think this RAD001 is doing something good! My back is so much better, can't even tell you... There are still moments when I get a twinge if I twist the wrong way but I'm so much stronger back there. It was to the point before that it even hurt to inhale or sneeze/cough. This is such a blessing and I couldn't be more thankful. Now, if only I can keep my platelets up high enough to continue... Dr. Ram was pretty concerned last time I was there regarding this and even mentioned I may have to skip a dose if they dip below 75K. Turns out last time, I was 75K right on the button. I told him that I'd been taking 500 mg of Naproxen/Aleve (this is known to lower platelets) so I haven't taken any all week hoping it makes a difference.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow...

Hope everyone has a great week!

4 comments:

ConundrumChum said...

Hey Chris,

There are a bunch of articles on foods to increase your platelet counts, it certainly won't hurt anything to bulk up on them.

Good luck with everything! Toni.

Tiffany said...

omg your household misadventures are killing me! Why does all this stuff happen to you??!! You have such a good attitude about it though, which i love. I am glad your back is feeling better, hope those platelets cooperate! Don't forget the running up and down the stairs trick! :)

Anonymous said...

You seem spirited. Good! Praying for not low platelets among other good health for you and some sun... and baby grass. Cheers! Cherry

Anastasia said...

Dear Chris, I have sentiments similar to those above! Why DOES all this strange stuff happen to you!? Household misadventures is a perfect description. :) I'm thinking perhaps you just try more things than a lot of people do? Because you are so "Do it Yourself" :) SO HAPPY to hear that the trial is working in a good way! I'm telling it, "Keep up the Good Work Rad trial!!"