Thursday, January 14, 2010

Projects

Well, happy to say I'm still keeping myself busy. I finally finished the hole in the wall kitchen project and last night built myself a tv/stereo cabinet out of pine boards from the home depot. Ever since I've been a kid I've loved to build things out of wood or just build things in general. I remember my parents would bring home a plastic model car and I'd have the thing put together in a blink of an eye. I always struggled however with finishing the fine details like painting and decals etc. and think I'm still the same today. I have to say though that both projects came out ok and yeah, there's still some small details I could work on but not overly concerned... Some things don't change...



I'm just waiting for the thing to collapse, ha ha...



Nice to be able to watch the tube or talk to guests while in the kitchen :)





I had to go up to West Palm Beach today for a meeting and decided to drive around downtown (which is nice). I decided to take the long way home down A1A and took some random shots with my phone to capture the memory. What a scenic drive!



Pulled off the road and took this with my phone, not bad...



Another with my phone, the stairs are inviting!



Great little park on the ocean. Another beautiful sky!



Always nice to drive through a tunnel o trees ;)

I have to tell a sad story to finish this unfortunately. I was at Publix getting some groceries and the guy that bagged my groceries insisted on helping me bring them out to my car. I never really accept the help when they offer but for some reason I let this guy roll my cart out to my car. When we found the car, I looked at the gentleman and he had a sort of blank look on his face. I recognize the look as I see it all the time in the cancer centers over the last couple of years. It was silent for a moment then all of the sudden in broken english the guy told me that he lost several family members down in Haiti and several more are still lost. He also mentioned that his wife's arm was broken or possibly severed as he was making a chopping motion toward his arm while he said "my wife". My heart went out to the guy... There's no way he can contact anyone down there nor is there any chance of him getting there. For a rare moment, my problems felt pretty small. I couldn't imagine having to try and work while you had all of that on your mind. I wish I had more money to tip the guy...

Why is it that the poorest countries always seem have the worst disasters? How many thousands of people were killed from the tsunami in Indonesia? Those earthquakes in China claimed thousands of lives... They're saying that maybe 100,000 people may end up dead in Haiti when all is said and done. How sad...

I feel so lucky to live in a developed country...

2 comments:

Uncle Tom and Auntie Linda. said...

Nice job on the Tv stand Chris, i dont think it'll fall over ,fits the room great.Amazing how we accumulate these talents over the years. Hope your feeling better. Hope to see you on your next visit home. Uncle Tom and Auntie Linda.

Anastasia said...

You So Talented!! :) :) :)