Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sad Sunday...


I got some bad news today about a friend of mine that passed away last week in Florida. His name is Paul Hutko and we'd been buddies for a while back when I lived in Warren MI. We met through my buddy Dan when they used to bag groceries together at Foodland. Paul was known for being a fun loving crazy guy who loved to sing, do imitations, crack jokes and laugh. I'd have parties at my place in Ferndale where we'd play guitar and Paul would sing at the top of his lungs and everybody would laugh and love it! The guy loved to entertain people and always dreamed of being in a band or some type of entertainer. He used to DJ at this bar in Royal Oak called Hi Tops and would crack jokes and rock out Elvis tunes. The guy truly was one of a kind. I think one of his proudest accomplishments was co writing a screenplay with his buddy Andy that was actually made into a movie called "The Discontents". Paul was a good guy and I'll definately miss him.

On a positive note, I think (hope) my tumors are still shrinking. My guage is a node that I can actually feel under my left armpit which seems to be shrinking. My hope is that the rest of them are melting away as well. I've been imagining my immune system (white blood cells and t cells) along with the chemo "removing" the cancer cells from my infected lymph nodes. Also been saying a lot of prayers! It feels good and very empowering to be able to participate in your healing. I wish I would have known more about this before but everything happens for a reason I guess...

By the way, I'm embarrased to say I'm a Lions fan after watching another pitiful performance today against the 49ers. I can't wait until the Pistons and Red Wings start so I can feel proud watching successful Detroit sports franchises (can't forget about the Shock too ladies!).

Finally, I wanted to mention a fellow Hodge warrior who is having a hard time right now after a long fight with the disease. She's been through two transplants and has complications from her second transplant where she received a donor's stem cells. The donor cells are attacking her good cells, a condition called graft versus host disease. She is truly a warrior and has my utmost respect and sympathy. If you want to check out her site and wish her well it's http://jenniferwilley.org/ You can sign her guest book if you want. Believe me, it's nice to get positive messages when you're going through hard times even if they are from strangers.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a nice weekend and will try and post again after my infusion this Wednesday.

3 comments:

B. said...

Chris,

I truly believe that words and thoughts are one of the most powerful things we can do to support each other, and ourselves.

I am so sorry for your loss, Chris. A passing of someone at such a 'healthy' age is such a hard thing to wrap our heads around even though, we've been faced with our own mortality through this process.

My thoughts, and heart are with you. Thanks for spreading the news about Jen, I know it'll mean the world to her.

Hope you and Jackie are getting lots of time together this week.

Sending love from the east coast,

B!

Rob said...

Chris,

It was great speaking with you this week and thanks so much for forwarding the link to your blog.......Christy and I will be following it now that we know where to get the info. I would also like to forward my condolences about Paul's passing, had to be tough for you to get the news while also fighting so hard to get healthy.

Really liked reading about your mom and sis visiting along with Danny and Mike getting up there to feed you well and take your mind off the other issues affecting your life. Also excited to read about Jackie's promotion, please send her our best.

As I told you, things here are OK, the kids are thriving in school and really like the new neighborhood. Christy is doing well and looks as beautiful as ever. We just had our 15th wedding anniversary in August, proud to have reached that milestone considering the trend in today's society. Yeah, the Lions suck, just glad that MSU has started their football year in a strong fashion, hopefully they will buck the trend of a good start and then heading downward as the season goes on.

We want you to know that we miss you bigtime and can't wait for your next visit to the Detroit area. We pray for you daily and please know that your inner strength and the positive way you have always treated others will help you to overcome the sickness. You are an inspiration to us and we thank you for being the friend you have been over all these years.

Take care and our love is with you.

Rob, Christy, Nicole and Julia

chris Tilghman said...

I just found out about Paul today. I knew him in the USN, as we were "deck apes" together. He was an extremely funny dude. We came up with a few characters that we would act out, which would turn out to be what he did for a living. Paul had a cassette that he called "forbidden songs" that contained his favorite songs. They were "forbidden" because he didn't want to ever get tired of them. He also wrote lyrics- all of them funny. Once we were cruising into NYC and Greenpeace idiots pulled a string in front of us and dared us to sail through it (on a 300' frigate). Paul wrote a verse in one of his songs (called "Posse's on the Foc's'le") that went: "them Greenpeace faggots
they better pray to Jesus,
Or We'll activate the five inch [gun]
And make them Green pieces"
Hilarious. And so fucking sad.
Thanks for posting the pic. I haven't seen him since 1988 or so.