Monday, November 1, 2010

Checking In...

Just sitting here watching some of the coverage prior to tomorrow's election and wanted to catch up...

So, it looks like the Republicans are going to take control of the House and the Democrats will probably hang on to the senate although there's an outside chance that may flip as well. It's so crazy how quickly the political tides change. I'm still in shock that our country is poised to give control back to the party that steered the country into the recession. What's going to be different this time? I've been paying attention lately and I really haven't heard any novel ideas by the GOP. In fact, Mitch McConnel, (the now minority Republican Senate leader) said the #1 goal of the GOP for the next two years is making sure Obama doesn't get re-elected. That doesn't sound like responsible governing to me.

I guess with things still pretty bad out there with housing and the job market and only slowly getting better, someone has to take the blame and in this case it's the Democrats. I think the health care legislation was the nail in the coffin. It created a perception that Obama and the Democrats weren't interested in fixing the economy but a political feather in their cap with the new Health Care Bill. This combined with the fact that the Bill isn't very well conceived (and probably needs fixing) and you have a recipe for disaster for the party in power who passed the legislation.

My hope is that instead of more gridlock, perhaps for once the two parties can work together to continue to try and fix the economy and improve the shortfalls of the new Health Care Bill. Locally, I'm hopeful the guy I'm voting for governor, Republican Rick Snyder, is going to be the inclusive leader he promises and helps to get Michigan out of the dumps. I think Independents like myself (which comprise the majority of American voters) want our government leaders to work together and find common ground in the middle. As I think about it though, it probably will never happen. With as large as this country is and with so many different viewpoints (for example the lens which rural America looks through as opposed to an inner city view) there's always going to a clash of ideals. This really struck me when I was in Holland. It's fairly homogeneous there and the population is relatively small so people can find common ground much easier (and as result have a much more harmonious society than we do here).

Anyway, I have a ton more to say on the elections tomorrow but think I'll just let the results speak for themselves. I will be very interested to see what comes next...

In a somewhat related note, today is my official first day without having private health insurance as I've taken the forced lunge into Medicare. I have to go apply for Medicaid tomorrow so I can hopefully supplement the 20% of my medical costs that aren't covered my Medicare. I feel fortunate that I'm feeling relatively well as I couldn't imagine having to deal with this crap if I was feeling like shit.

There is light at the end of the tunnel however as I'm getting ready to drive down to SoFlo next week! I'm really nervous but I'm going to be attempting to drive my convertible (and the 300+K miles it has on it) down there. I'm taking it in tomorrow morning to have the rear wheel bearing replaced and hoping everything else is going to be solid enough to get me there. I've already had the timing belt replaced and have been told that the engine in the car I have (BMW E30 325i) can run for 1,000,000 miles!! I have a feeling there's going to be some interesting blog material made on that trip but of course hoping for a boring uneventful journey. I'm really looking forward to some warm sunshine again...

To unfortunately close on a sad note, it looks like my fellow Hodgkins Warrior Mike from St. Clair Shores is going to ride off into the sunset, hopefully peacefully. His mother Sharon sadly reported today on our forum that the family has decided to call in Hospice rather than deal with the inevitable ventilator. I guess his body has been through one too many treatments and the cancer is no longer responding to any of them. My heart and prayers go out to the family.

I also wanted to send some good vibes to my friend Kirsten out in Vancouver. She's really been struggling lately after finishing up 6 cycles of Bendamustine and doing a single treatment of Vinblastine which really threw her for a loop. I hope you're back on your feet soon Kirsten and rooting for you here in the D!

That's all I've got for now; thanks again to Marie, Jim and my Godmother Aunt Shelly and Uncle Butch for your generous gifts :) I am a very blessed...

Good night everyone and good luck :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,

First off, it looks like you had a blast in Holland!!! I remember lots of art and wonderful food! That trip looked AMAZING.

I just read your post on politics and the election that was written on 11/1. I dont think it's a surprise at all that we saw an absolute tidal wave in terms of the republican sweep. I dont think the middle class can sustain anymore taxes, let alone the thought of more government. Obama said it himself in today's address.

Just in terms of local govt issues, there was no way Bernaro had a shot. Jenifer Granholm pushed every small business owner out of business or out of state!!! She levied such high taxes on them that it didnt make sense to stay here, so they didnt stay! She drove out the big guns (VW) among others. We need someone like Rick Snyder who said the first thing he would do was get rid of that small business tax. The dems havent been "working on behalf of the man" - they've been working on behalf of bigger govt.


I cant tell you how many people I know voted straight ticket republican who never would have prior to this election.

I think, like most of America, I’m passionate because I’m tired of how radical the Dems are. I don’t like that they’re changing the very quality of America that makes use great. Why in the world would we want to be beholden to government for everything/ Isn’t it bad enough that we’ve done that to the African Americans, virtually making them a permanent underclass, unable to escape the bonds of governmental support to better themselves?

I don’t want my children to have to grow up in that America. I’d much prefer a smaller government and much less support and much lower taxes. Let us use our own money the way we see fit. I don’t know anyone who can better represent ME than ME in my own financial interests.

You are the best, Chris..and I have always respected your view, but you know, every once in awhile, I have to chime in and represent the other side.

You are always in my prayers and in "my favorites". Keep on keepin on and let us know if you are covered by Medicade for that other 20%. I will keep Michael's family also in my intentions.

Take care. AHS

Anonymous said...

Chris,

First off, it looks like you had a blast in Holland!!! I remember lots of art and wonderful food! That trip looked AMAZING.

I just read your post on politics and the election that was written on 11/1. I dont think it's a surprise at all that we saw an absolute tidal wave in terms of the republican sweep. I dont think the middle class can sustain anymore taxes, let alone the thought of more government. Obama said it himself in today's address.

Just in terms of local govt issues, there was no way Bernaro had a shot. Jenifer Granholm pushed every small business owner out of business or out of state!!! She levied such high taxes on them that it didnt make sense to stay here, so they didnt stay! She drove out the big guns (VW) among others. We need someone like Rick Snyder who said the first thing he would do was get rid of that small business tax. The dems havent been "working on behalf of the man" - they've been working on behalf of bigger govt.


I cant tell you how many people I know voted straight ticket republican who never would have prior to this election.

I think, like most of America, I’m passionate because I’m tired of how radical the Dems are. I don’t like that they’re changing the very quality of America that makes use great. Why in the world would we want to be beholden to government for everything/ Isn’t it bad enough that we’ve done that to the African Americans, virtually making them a permanent underclass, unable to escape the bonds of governmental support to better themselves?

I don’t want my children to have to grow up in that America. I’d much prefer a smaller government and much less support and much lower taxes. Let us use our own money the way we see fit. I don’t know anyone who can better represent ME than ME in my own financial interests.

You are the best, Chris..and I have always respected your view, but you know, every once in awhile, I have to chime in and represent the other side.

You are always in my prayers and in "my favorites". Keep on keepin on and let us know if you are covered by Medicade for that other 20%. I will keep Michael's family also in my intentions.

Take care. AHS

Chris said...

Hey! (I think this is Aylin?)

Yeah, I know you see things differently than me and it's all good. I'm just curious where some of this stuff comes from though with all due respect. You mention that taxes have gone up under Obama when in fact they've gone down for the middle class (as well as a tax break for small business).

I'm curious too how we're all going to somehow become beholden to government? I unfortunately will be because I've essentially been locked out re-entering the workforce because it'd be virtually impossible for me to get private insurance. Kinda sucks that because I have an illness nobody will touch me (at least until 2014 when the new law kicks in. Thank God we have a government program like Medicare in place as I don't know what I'd do otherwise. What would you do if you were me? Do you think the Republican party is going to advocate for someone like me? On the other stuff, I'm just going to respectively disagree and just leave it at that...

I agree with you on the Michigan politics though as it was time for a change. That's why I voted for Snyder too :)

Anyway, always nice to hear from you my friend and I hope you and the family are going well.

God Bless, Chris

Anonymous said...

Chris,

It is always me that banters about politics. I have always signed "anon" because at first, I couldnt figure out how to leave my name - and now, I just assume you know it's me if my note includes both political banter and prayer!

I know the guys that own my company are constantly saying that between Granholm and Obama, they are making it very tough for small business to make it in this country.

Beholden to the govt? If we are continually taxed up to 30-45% of our salaries for everything (healthcare, education, etc), we will like those who have grown up on welfare and unable to ever get off of it. I dont need the govt deciding for me how to best spend my money. In the last few years, the American people have had a slight taste of what "too much govt" feels like and clearly, they are waking up. Thank God.

As for you, Chris - I am praying that Medicare/Medicade cover all for your expenses. I agree with you entirely - the current system is failing good people who need help. The insurance companies need a GIANT KICK IN THE ASS. This all comes down to greed. They are making money on everyone. We have the resources for all to be treated - noone should be battling these companies.

Believe me, I understand, I cant tell you how many battles I have had over the last few years with rejected claims due to, "met your maximum", "not necceary treatment", "not coded correctly" or whatever else - this amounts to thousands of hours of phone calls, letters, appeals, frustration - and like I said to my mother last night, "How would someone who was sick deal with this???!"

They couldnt. And, that is disgusting.

Long story made longer, I am on your side. My approach is different - I dont want one national plan run by the monopoly -especially the govt - the price tag will bury this country. The govt could not run cash for clunkers - this will be impossible! We do need reform. Anyone who says otherwise must work for an insurance company!!!

Chris, we should get lunch soon. I am in downtown Ferndale. I would love to see you, get lunch and show you where I work. Some of the guys play acoustic guitar and I always tell them that they remind me of you - when you used to play in the mornings at Jackie's place.

Let me know when your in town and we will set it up!!!

Love your blog - I am here all the time!!! May God bless you always!!! You should be a travel writer!!!! AYLIN!

Anonymous said...

Chris, I just wrote you a really long note and I think it was deleted. So, dont think that I didnt respond (I did!)..but I think it was lost!!! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. There is no way I can rewrite that now!! Talk soon. aylin!!!

Chris said...

That's cool Aylin, it'd be great to see you :)

BTW, good for you if you're in the 30+ percent tax bracket! You guys must be doing very well... The last time I had to deal with taxes, I think I was at 25 or 27% and I thought I was making pretty good money.

You know, it'd be great to not pay any taxes... That said, how in the world are we going to pay down the debt? Yeah, the stimulus and health care tab are enormous but please remember that TARP (700 billion), the massive prescription drug benefit (700-1.2 trillion over 10 years), the Iraq war (over a trillion dollars) and the first ever tax cuts while our nation was at war (100's of billions) were all Republican actions signed by Mr. Bush. Not exactly fiscal responsibility if you ask me.

I just hope that after 6 years in power with disastrous results the
Republicans have somehow learned a lesson and things will be better this time around (even though they only control the house). I must say, based on their track record, I'm not overly optimistic...

So, with that, if you want to have the last word, it's all yours! Or, we can contiue this conversation over lunch. I love to debate this stuff!

Hugs,

Chris