Sunday, November 14, 2010

Reflecting

Just laying here watching the game and was just reflecting back to the last time I was here in Florida. My mental and physical well being were in such a different state... I was just regaining the normal use of my hands and legs and was always exhausted. I remember simple things like walking across the parking lot to the pool or trying to get my keys out of my pocket and unlocking my door were a major challenge. I remember struggling to walk down to the beach, having to basically "fall" to the sand to sit and barely being able to get back up. I also remember trying to keep up with this blog even though I had to type with one finger because my hands were useless. I've come a long way since then, thank God!

Because of this, I'm in such a better place these days. Life is so much more enjoyable when you can physically suck the marrow out of it. I remember being on SGN-35 when the severe muscle aches started. Then came the slow then sudden onset of Guillain Barre Syndrome. I remember thinking of ways to live with all the discomfort and pain... I was devising ways of being able to "live in my head" if that makes any sense as I thought I would have to live like that until my days ran out. Honestly, now that I look back, I think I was pretty depressed.

While things are far from perfect physically, I am doing so much better these days. I just hope that this can last for a while... What would a reasonable amount of time be? I really can't say. Dare I dream that this would last another six months? How about a year? It's very difficult to not get too caught up in feeling relatively well knowing in the back of my mind that this treatment has an expiration date and I'll eventually have to roll the dice on another clinical trial. I need to start reading my Buddhism books again to remember to live in the moment!

I can say though that at this moment, life is pretty darn good. I'm going to try and thoroughly enjoy my last few days here while mentally preparing for my upcoming scan this Thursday in New York.

One day at a time ;)



My buddy Danny and his wife Celia. Danny's work finally made it into a gallery! He has a friend that opened Village Studio Gallery on Atlantic Ave. in Delray Beach and he's one of 4-5 featured artists. It's going to take some time for word of mouth to spread but now that it's in season here foot traffic will be increasing and hopefully they can sell some art... Here's the link to the gallery if you want to check out some of the artist's work. http://villagestudiogallery.com/




Mike, one of the artists was doubling on the keys!



I've been dreaming of rolling up to the beach in a convertible for a long time and now it's reality! Pretty cool...



Traveling Jesus and I having lunch at my favorite spot!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God for all of the healing that has happened to you since you were last in Florida is right! I am so happy to hear it, Chris. May God bless you always. AHS.

Tiffany said...

enjoy florida! you deserve it! sending you some good vibes from your scans.

-Tiffany (from the Hodgkin's boards... creepin' on your blog! :) )

Gail said...

Thank God for sure. Thanks for sharing :)

Gail said...

Thank God, for sure! Thanks for sharing :)

Anastasia said...

Love it!! Great pics :) :) That last one is pretty funny! :) Thinking of you on our scan days this week.