Thursday, December 9, 2010

Somewhat under control

Well, I've gotten on top of the pain but unfortunately my platelets didn't cooperate today after two blood draws and running up and down 7 flights of stairs. Since I've been on the trial for 11 cycles now and have had a history of low platelets, Dr. Zain was nice enough to let me bring the pills back with me. The only thing is I can't take them until I go to a local diagnostic center and get my blood (platelets) checked.

So, the plan is to go tomorrow to this place in Royal Oak and hope to God that my platelets go up. I was at 46,000 and 42,000 (the normal low range is 150,000) and need to be at least 50,000. I've had this cold virus and had taken some penicillin both of which I was told lowers platelets. I'm hoping one more day with the virus weakened and another day for the PEN VK to get out of my system and I'll get to 50,000. This would be huge on two fronts: one; I can take the SAHA again which seems to control the pain and two; be able to take Naproxen which works great in conjunction with the heavy pain meds and allows me to take less of those.

I just want to get right before I leave for Florida on Monday.

I think things are going to be alright ;)

By the way, I wanted to send my deepest thanks to April, Trent and Mike Reed and also my old friends Doug and Fran from Mania Interactive for your generosity. I feel really blessed today despite all of the B.S... :o)

I also wanted to mention a loyal commenter on this blog and friend Loraine who lost her son Chris from Hodgkins complications. I was talking about friends who lost kids to this stupid disease and failed to mention Loraine, sorry. If I've missed anyone else, I'm sorry, my memory definitely isn't as good as it used to be...

1 comment:

Loraine Ritchey said...

Oh Chris , I didn't expect you to mention me..... I am so your touched by your thoughts..although we have never met I know you to be from your writings such a wonderful young man and I know your mum must be so very proud of her son - I wish you could have met my Chris - he too was a great believer in life..... we are all in this family pulling for you...... and riding the roller coaster with you Loraine