Monday, August 10, 2009

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly...


("The Fist" located near the waterfront downtown Detroit is actually a sculpture of the legendary Joe Louis' lethal right hand. Perfect for Detroit's rough image...)


I've been getting treated at Karmanos Cancer Center which is located in downtown Detroit and have been taking advantage of being down in the city by driving around and snapping photos's (with my new camera ;). It's been an interesting experience to say the least... I wrote a little bit about the city when I compared it to New Orleans during my road trip. There's some revitalization going on downtown with new businesses, the stadiums, waterfront, etc... At the same time, the neighborhoods have really gone down hill and it's really sad. I took a drive through where I grew up and was astonished at how run down it is. Here's some shots I took with some descriptions:


(Detroit's tallest building, GM headquarters a.k.a. the "Renaissance Center")


(Notice GM building in the background, this used to be a beautiful neighborhood back in the day. Now, there are very few homes left... Most that are still standing have been abandoned)


(Abandoned old Victorian home in same area as previous shot. There is an effort however to rebuild some of these houses...)


(This apartment building that's on the same block as the previous home has been restored)


(This is the block I grew up on! My old house is the third from the corner across the street from the abandoned home)


(This is three blocks away from my old place!)


(This brand new school was built at an old park just down the street from the previous abandoned houses! There's also a skate park and pool, very strange...)


(I used to ride my bike up here as a kid and play video games and get ice cream. I also had my bike stolen from here! Doesn't look very inviting these days...)


(This sculpture is called "The Spirit of Detroit". I really hope the city can one day make a comeback. Rooting for you Detroit!!)

As for a quick update on how things are going for me... Haven't noticed too many side effects except for increased soreness/pain in my back. Also have developed a tingling/numbing sensation in my side which actually started before my first infusion of SGN-35. Looking forward to both of these nuissances going away and continuing on with my epic summer!!

Peace,

Chris

No comments: