Thursday, August 6, 2009

Seek And Destroy!


Received my first dose of SGN-35 and thought I'd play a little Metallica in the spirit of "Seek and Destroy"!! It's amazing how a drug can get pumped into your body, travel through the bloodstream, enter your lymphatic system, seek out CD30+ cancer cells and release a deadly toxin into the cell with the intent to kill... That's what I've just received in SGN-35, a trained killer (in theory). Dr. Ram said that out of his 5 patients that have received the drug all 5 have shown some type of response after their first scan :) The part I don't know is what type of response they had (CR = complete response, PR = partial response or stable disease which would be considered a response as well). The reason the trial is being conducted is to find out the response rate and how long the "response" lasts which will play out over the upcoming months. Hoping I don't let our SGN team down at Karmanos and I make it 6-6!

So far, I don't feel all that bad. Didn't really notice any nauseau during or after the infusion. Actually, the only thing I feel right now is exhaustion and pretty much been in bed ever since I've been home. Hoping this is the worst of it and I have some energy tomorrow.

7 comments:

Veronica said...

Glad the infusion went smoothly and hope those trained killers have a successful mission.......here's to minimal side-effects........Vx

Kathy McPherson said...

We're all pulling for you, Chris!
So glad you've started your treatment and thanks for the update. I am so happy to read that so far you aren't feeling bad. Kathy McPherson

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
I hope you continue to have very
minimal side effects and of course a complete response to the new course of treatment!

Wendy

naw said...

still thinking good thoughts for you hope that the side effects stay minimal

Gail said...

Hi Chris -
Thinking of you....hoping and praying for the best.

Gail

Kate said...

Hi! just hopped over from adrienne's blog to yours. I had hodgkin's back in 05 and used to visit the webmagic boards.
I'm glad to hear you were able to get on the SGN trial. It seems like a really good drug if you're lucky enough to get it. Hopefully the side effects will be minimal.
And BTW...I really liked the picture of your dog with "butt sunglasses" Ha! What kind of terrier do you have? I have a new airdale terrier rescue...I wonder if his behind needs some sun protection too?

dave said...

Hi Chris,

sending good thoughts your way... seek and destroy!