Friday, September 18, 2009

Bored...

Yeah, I'm a little bored tonight and thought I'd ramble...

Watching palladia and Bruce Springstein is playing at the Glastonberry Festival. I've got a newfound respect for the guy as the entire audience consists of young kids and he's got em going nuts! The man is like a preacher on stage talking about "how you have to build a house" with things like music, love, hope, etc. -- the kids all looked mesmerized... He then busted into a song I remember as a kid, "Born to Run" and everyone went nuts! They (1000's of young fans) knew every word to this and other songs of his that followed. The album that song is from (The River) came out October 10th 1980, 30 years ago! I've noticed 80's music is big these days with the gen y crowd. Funny, when I was nearing the end of my teens and early 20's, 70's music (disco) came back in style! I remember going to the bar for disco nights at this club in Pontiac Michigan called "Industry" and everyone would boogie their ass off! Good times...



Starting to read a classic, "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran (thanks Mandy!). I think it's one of the most beautifully written, profound books I've ever read (so far). His artwork is incredible too! I busted it out after a bike ride at Stoney Creek when the sun was starting to set over the lake, perfect...

Here's some interesting passages so far:

On Joy and Sorrow;

When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.


Need to think about this one a little more...

On Eating and Drinking;

And when you crush an apple with your teeth, say to it in your heart,
"Your seeds shall live in my body,
And the buds of your tomorrow shall blossom in my heart,
And your fragrance shall be my breath,
And together we shall rejoice through all the seasons."


I'll never look at an apple the same again!

On Giving; (this one's my favorite so far)

You give but little when you give of your possessions.
It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.
For what are your possessions but things you keep and guard for fear you may need them tomorrow?
There are those who give little of the much which they have -- and they give it for recognition and their hidden desire makes their gifts unwholesome.
And there are those who have little and give it all.
These are the believers in life and the bounty of life, and their coffer is never empty.
There are those who give with joy, and that joy is their reward.
And there are those who give and know not pain in giving, nor do they seek joy, nor give with mindfullness of virtue;
They give as in yonder valley the myrtle breathes its fragrance into space.
Through the hands of such as these God speaks, and from behind their eyes He smiles upon the earth.



Kahlil Gibran Artwork

I'm really looking forward to reading/absorbing the rest of this book and may throw some passages out there in future blogs for s&g's ;)

Back to palladia, Bon Iver's performing!! The lead guy is singing "Skinny Love" (on my playlist) and playing this awesome old rusty steel resonator guitar, really cool. Have I mentioned before that I dig palladia!!


Resonator Guitar

Just finished a bowl of my Mom's strawberry shortcake, whoa! I think she made the sponge cake from scratch, it was awesome! By the way, wanted to wish Rich a happy birthday! :D He's a young 65 today; hope it was a good one Rich!

Alright, I'm out... I need to get some z's so the SGN-35 can attack under the cover of darkness while the cancer cells are sleeping ;)

Night...

2 comments:

Anastasia said...

I love Kalil Gibran! :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

One of my favorits, Chris. I think I gave it to Jackie about 10 years ago. Simple and Beautiful. Try "The Little Prince" - another one to savor.