Monday, March 15, 2010

AFO's



So I've got a little bounce in my step these days, ha! Actually, I don't think they do a whole lot but give me a little support which I will gladly take. Plus they're a great look with shorts, lol. The price tag, $1000, crazy! Aetna picked up 90% of the tab thankfully. I feel really blessed to have insurance and bad for those who don't because the prices these companies are charging for drugs and medical devices right now is absurd. The health care industry is way out of control...

Anyway, I plan to put them to good use as I leave for New York on Wednesday. I took em for a test drive tonight by going up to the mall and walking around for the first time in a while. I sort of feel like a robot in these things (you know how the terminator had that purposeful walk?) I need to bring them back to get trimmed tomorrow so I can fit em in some other shoes. Not sure if I'm going to wear them through the airport as they're a pain to put on and take off with my weak hands...

Speaking of which, I still haven't noticed a whole lot of improvement in my strength and I'm getting a little worried. If there is any improvement, it's barely noticeable. I can now open my meds without it taking 10 minutes and I'm barely able to type so I guess that's a start! I sent an email to my neurologist and going to see if I can get another round of IVIG although I'm sure to get some pushback from the insurance. We'll see how it all shakes out...

I just need to keep the faith that things will get better for me. As I've written about before, it's so much easier to keep my spirits up when I'm feeling somewhat strong physically (relatively speaking). I know that I'll always have pain and it's tough enough to deal with that. However, to wake up every morning with the soreness in my legs and back that I have and then to face the fact that everything I do physically from that point on for the rest of the day is going to be a challenge... Let's just say it takes a lot to get out of bed.

I'm happy to say however that the morning is probably the worst time of the day and it seems to get better from there (at least my mindset). Sometimes I look at my situation and wonder how I haven't lost my mind by now! Hell, maybe I already have, ha! It's so weird how you just get used to things... It's crazy how we adapt to our circumstances. I know there are so many people who have it so much worse than me and I used to wonder how they did it but now I understand. Actually I've understood for a while now but felt compelled to mention it for some reason.

I'm having DejaVu, I think I've written about this before... Maybe it's satisfying to bitch and moan sometimes, I don't know.

Well, my right hand has pretty much locked up now but that was a decent typing session for a while.

Thanks for reading my venting...

Looking forward to sharing my New York experience :o)

1 comment:

Kathleen McPherson said...

Hi Chris, I like your blog and am sorry about the challenges right now. Your strength to keep going is inspiring.

Thanks for taking the time to write and letting everyone know how you are doing. You are in my prayers. Kathleen McPherson