Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Up in The Air


I watched this movie last week and while I’m not quite as prolific a traveler as George Clooney in the movie I think I’m pushing the limits as a cancer survivor! In the movie, Clooney’s character talks about how he’s actually “home” when he’s on an airplane. I don’t know if I feel quite that way but can say lately that I kinda feel “homeless” with all the travelling I’ve been doing. It’s kinda freaking me out knowing that in the next couple of months, this is only going to increase as I get started on my next clinical trial. If I pick the SAHA trial in New York, it requires weekly visits for blood checks etc… While I had a great time in New York and really enjoy it there, the thought of doing the trip every week with my mobility issues is daunting to say the least…

Before I get started on my trial though, I need to make another trip to Detroit for a second try at IVIG. This time it’ll be a 3 day infusion and I’m hoping to God it works this time (at least a little). It’d be so much easier to do what I have to do to survive if I had 50% function (I’d take that) of my hands and legs. The AFO braces that I have help out but they kill my feet after an hour or so and they’re a pain to put on and take off. I need some relief here!!

My God, I forgot I’m leaving for Houston next week, eek gads…! (my grandpa used to say that, ha!)

So now that’s off my chest, I just wanted to briefly mention how grateful I am that members of our congress and the president had the guts to take the first steps in healthcare reform. I know there are a lot of people out there that aren’t happy with the legislation and I guess that’s to be expected. There are parts of it that I don’t necessarily agree with and I’m concerned that the bill really doesn’t do anything to try and control the skyrocketiing costs of healthcare. However, with that said, for me personally I’m going to see immediate benefits. First, my insurance company can no longer put a lifetime cap on how much they pay out for my treatments. I’m not sure, but after all the treatment I’ve had I know that I was starting to get close to that number. Secondly, if for some miracle I’m able to ever re-enter the workforce and that company has a different insurance carrier, by law they wont be able to discrimate against me and deny coverage based on my pre existing condition, hooray! I have plenty of friends who are sick and not sick that are going to benefit from this bill. To the detractors, i.e. the Republican party, all I have to say is they had a chance to reform healthcare for six years during the Bush administration when the GOP controlled everything and nothing was done. They could’ve shaped it and done a lot of good for the American people. It’s not like the problems we have today with healthcare didn’t exist back then… I guess it's easier to criticize than do something good.

Anyway, these things have a way of working themselves out in a democracy like we thankfully have. Just like the Americans voted out the GOP, we’ll vote out the democrats if this bill proves to be a disaster. For now, I’m going to enjoy this little peace of mind that I’ve gained and see what happens down the road.

By the way, I have to document this crazy lady that I’m sitting next to right now… She keeps telling the crying babies on the plane to shut up, keeps looking around her seat and is looking at her watch every 2 minutes. She is a total nutbag and I’m so grateful that I have headphones on and can tune her out. What a wacko!

These next several weeks are going to be interesting…

4 comments:

becky said...

and that is why I HATE flying god forbid maddy make a noise I get daggers from people.

Marsha said...

Chris, I hope IVIG works! Have you already decided which trial you are going for?
And hooray on the Health Care Bill! Makes me feel a bit more protected.
Hugs,

Marsha

Rob said...

Chris, Nice to hear "Jet Airliner" while reading about your psycho seatmate. Know what you mean about NYC being exhausting....but sounds like some good trial options there for you. Looking forward to reading what alternatives you are given in TX. When is it you head to the "D"? Great chance to hook up if you can fit it in your schedule. Know you are in our thoughts and prayers, Rob and Fam

Heather said...

I've been meaning to send you this short video clip about how the Republicans used their time when it came to "healthcare". It's a couple years old, but I found it eye opening and by the end of the video...jaw dropping. It almost seems impossible that it could be true, but I guess it is.

Greed is so disgusting, especially when it costs lives. I find it awfully ironic that a group who proclaims "the sanctity of life" when it's convenient, can also support these people and not see them as a violation of "life".

Here's the link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=3108688n&tag=related;photovideo

I do keep up with your blog regularly and also keep you in my prayers. I hope that good things are headed your way...you certainly deserve them. Keep fighting the good fight!