Sunday, March 28, 2010

Beat Up...

That's how my body feels right now. Today, I really haven't been able to get out of bed except for a trip out for food. The little mini workout I did two days ago has left me feeling like I've been in a car accident or something. Every part of my body aches. I couldn't sleep last night and took a muscle relaxant at 5:00 am and know this has definately exascerbated my listlessness. Now I remember why I stopped taking those things when I was so sore from working out right after my transplant.

Anyway, I made the best of my trip out for dinner by taking my Chipotle takeout to the beach just a couple of hours ago. There's a storm brewing out at sea -- the waves were crashing and there was an eery mist hovering over the dark beach... It was very surreal as I was eating my food!

I'm watching animal planet right now and it's about this guy who turned his studio apartment into a big lizard tank. He lived with all these giant lizards and they ended up killing him and eating him, crazy...

The trip to Lakeland to see the game was a great time. It was a perfect 75-80 and I was part of the largest crowd ever at Joker Marchant Stadium! The Yankees were in town and of course there were a lot of New Yorkers there so that explains it. I tried to use my new handicapped status to get some seats that didn't require a climb up tall stairs but for some reason it was a little more difficult than my last trip to Joe Louis Arena. I think it has to do with the fact that there are so many people at the game that are handicapped! In other words, 75-80% of the fans there were retirees and let's just say some of the ushers were "crotchety". My buddy Eric however was able to find a helpful guy who let us go up and elevator to the press box area. The game itself wasn't great as we lost 2-1 but it was fun to see a pro baseball game at such a little stadium and a great way to spend a spring day :)


Beautiful day for a baseball game!


You know it's a minor league ballpark when there's an eagles nest on top of one of the lightowers! Click on the pic for a closer look


Tough to see my favorite Tiger Curtis Granderson in a Yankee uniform...


Pic of my buddy Eric with a Tiger legend Lou Whitaker. Notice how happy the little girl is in the background running the bases :D I think Sweet Lou had a few Bud Light's during the game (actually he had one in his hand as he was signing autographs) as he was going on and on how great he was! I mean he was a great player but when my buddy Eric mentioned that "he was great in 1984" and Lou responds by saying "he was great well before 84". well you get the picture...


I made a pit stop on the way home to this great BBQ trailor and had a great pulled pork sandwich. I've developed an affinity to roadside food trailors... The food is usually really good and it's supporting local small business.

So I'm hoping this soreness goes away somewhat tomorrow and I can get to the pool and get some laps in...

I'm getting a little anxious to get started on my next clinical trial as I can feel the junk growing in my back. It's especially disturbing feeling it on my spine in my lower back. I'm banking that the next drug is going to knock this back a bit so I can continue to heal.

I'm now able to use my right hand to start my car! I used to have to reach around the steering wheel with my left hand to turn the key so I continue to see small progress with my hands.

With all this said, my mind is still strong even though my body feels beaten down. I'm comforted knowing that I do have options and just need to keep the faith that one of these drugs is going to put me in remission (or shrink the disease down). I feel like I have a break coming my way after all that I've gone through with with the SGN-35 (and subsequent GBS) and it not shrinking my disease. It would just be so much easier to take the side effects of these drugs if you knew they were going to actually work.

This is part of my reality however and I accept it. I'll continue to adjust and be thankful for everything I have and try not to be bitter. I know there's a reason why this is all happening and one day I'll have it all figured out.

Tomorrow's a new day...

3 comments:

aylin said...

Chris, I have been keeping you in my rosaries for healing and that God gives you the grace to get through the treatment and suffering. I especially remembered you yesterday at Palm Sunday Mass. We went with Peter's father downtown to St Florian in Hamtramck. It is a beautiful church (google it and check it out next time you are up here) - the craftsmanship from 100+ yrs ago is unbelievable and I know you would appreciate it from an artistic (and spiritual) perspective. And...it was built by your peeps! We actually saw a guy seated with his girlfriend a few pews in front of us, he turned around and he looked like you!!! I couldnt believe it - Peter and I were stunned! Your double! Anyway, take care, know that we are praying for your strength and are rallying for your new trial!!!

Veronica said...

Well your post shows there's always someone out there worse off than yourself........at least you've not been eaten by your pet lizards!!! Your Chili wouldn't do that!! :0)
But seriously - enough, now Chris - hope that all this resolves soon - don't be too hard on that body of yours, it's been through a battle or 10.......take it easy.......Vx

Gail said...

Chris - thinking of you. hoping and praying for the best. You are amazing - good things must be in store for you ! keep the faith.
Gail