Saturday, December 27, 2008

Day 1

To continue from yesterday... Got home after yesterday's extravaganza and was pretty zonked. The procedure itself went ok except for the usual barf session 5 bags into it. I was trying so hard to resist, eating and sucking on oranges (per the nurses recommendation). I think I would have been ok if I didn't eat the orange but the prickly sensation plus awful taste of the preservative going into me proved to be too much... I'm sure it was a funny visual with me sitting there in the bed with a big orange slice in my mouth, headphones on, eyes closed trying to meditate through the process! I have to say, my nurse this time around Alyce was awesome. She took her time and didn't rush the stem cells into me like last time. The faster the flow, the worse the prickly feeling and horrible taste. I also have to say my Mom and Kenny were great too! They kept the room light and had the nurses cracking up!

So, from here, I just have to wait it out again till my little stem cells engraft into white blood cells, red blood cells etc... I feel so lucky I can do this outpatient as most people I know have to wait this period out in the hospital. Of course, there's still a good chance I'll have to go in for a period of time if I spike a fever, develop mucositis too painful to manage on my own, not being able to eat, drink, etc... I stayed out the first time so here's to getting lucky again ;)

Just in case anybody's wondering when my next tests are, they usually scan around 100 days post transplant fyi. I'm of course nervous hoping this last batch of chemo and radiation has wiped out the disease for good... I'm nervous and scared that there may still be residual disease. I have a little node that I watch which is under my left armpit. The little guy has almost shrunk down to nothing but unfortunately, I can still feel it... Hodgkins Lymphoma is notorious for leaving scar tissue behind from the lymph nodes it infects. I hope this is the case with this little guy under my arm. Unfortunately, I have to accept and prepare for the worst just in case this is still disease...

Either way, I'm ok with whatever happens and will go on with my life and enjoy it to the fullest!!

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Ugh - sorry your re-infusion wasn't the most pleasant of experiences but glad that that is all behind you - the waiting begins! Here's to a smooth reengraftment with no/minimal mucositis :0}

And welcome to post-transplant anxiety! Once you've relapsed I think it's harder to accept remission........Wullie's 18months in remission, a year out of treatment and has been ill for the last 5 weeks - it's a nasty dose of flu, but we've still gone through every symptom and attributed it to Hodge :0{ But your attitude is right - just get on with life and try to put Hodge-like thoughts far, far away......Vx

Adrienne said...

Hi Chris, Don't try to be too tough through this. Please, promise you'll go inpatient if needed.

Sorry about the vomiting and all, but the visual was pretty funny. Hugs to your family for looking after you and being there. Just take it a day at a time. Love, Alison (Adrienne's mom)