Saturday, December 13, 2008

Slumdog Millionaire


Jackie and I went out to the movies last night (first time in a while). We saw this great flick called Slumdog Millionaire at this great old theatre in the Capital Hill neighborhood of Seattle. If it's playing where you live (I think it's a limited release movie) I highly recommend it.

Also, wanted to congratulate my friends Roger and Mandy on the birth of their new Baby Joshua! He came into the world a little early (3 weeks) and weighs in at 5 pounds 9 ounces. Can't wait to meet the little bugger! :-) I hope Mom Mandy is feeling better and home soon...

We're sitting here watching one of our favorite movies, Pulp Fiction while also watching a rare beautiful snowfall here up on top of Queen Anne Hill (Jackie's place). Also had a fun day Christmas shopping downtown today. There was so much great energy and Christmas spirit with Christmas Caroler's singing and the usual street performers. The Christmas lights were beautiful with the topper being a giant star above Nordstroms. I think we may go back tomorrow so I can take some shots to send out...

So, it's been a nice last weekend so far before my big transplant starting next Thursday. On Monday I have to go in for the first infusion (of three) of this new drug called Palafermin (sp?). It's a growth factor drug that helps mitigate mucositis. The drug works by stimulating extra growth of the skin inside my mouth. In other words, once I get the drug, my tongue, cheeks and gums will grow extra thick so that when the mucositis kicks in, I'll have a cushion so to speak. Kinda like having padding inside my mouth. I guess the sensation is pretty strange once it starts working as you can imagine having an oversized tongue and puffy cheeks and gums! I'm also starting to prepare mentally for the pummeling I'm going to take. The first step is going to church tomorrow to pray! There's a beautiful church also in Capital Hill called St. James Cathedral that Jackie and I like to go to. It's probably one of the most beautiful churches I've ever seen with amazing stained glass etc... and a beautiful choir.

After church I hope to watch the first win by my hapless Lions... You never know, miracles can happen (although I'm not betting on it)!

1 comment:

Veronica said...

Hey Chris - certainly sounds Christmassy where you are :) I'm taking my girls out later today to a local Fun Day in the hope of getting myself a bit more Christmassy!
I'll be interested to know how this anti-mucositis growth factor works. Wullie was really badly affected by mucositis and I'll be very glad to know that there's something out there that can combat it for others, even if he didn't get to benefit! Hope it works for you.............Vx