Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Day

Happy New Year Everyone!

Just got done watching the Winter Classic where my Wings put it to the Chicago Blackhawks with 5 un-answered goals after falling behind 3-1 in the first period. It was pretty cool watching a hockey game outdoors at Wrigley Field although it seems like it'd be better to watch on TV rather than being there. I guess it was 1 degree outside plus all the seats seemed so far away from the ice... They were saying that having an upper deck seat was actually the best way to go for an event like this so you could at least look down at the game. Maybe they'll do this at Comerica Park in Detroit one year...

Had a nice New Years Eve last night once I received my red blood cells at the clinic for 5 hours! Got a little burst of energy thankfully... My Mom, Ken and I went over to Jackies place last and watched a great movie that's coming out Jan 9th called Grand Torino (Clint Eastwood). It was especially cool for me that it was shot in Detroit (Higland Park) in the same horrible area that 8 mile was shot. I guess there's going to be quite a few movies that will be shot in Detroit as apparently the politicians are giving huge tax incentives for the movie companies to shoot there. Like I said though, it was a great movie and highly recommend it when it comes out to theatres.

By the way, I wanted to say farewell to my Cousin Ken as he took off for Chicago early this morning. It was great having him here for support and can't thank him enough for helping my Mom and I get through this tough time... Look forward to seeing you in Chicago Ken!

Speaking of tough times, things are getting kinda crazy with my body. When I swallow, it feels like a bowling ball is going down my throat. Understandably, it's been really difficult to eat and drink. I've also been bleeding as my platelets are low again (need another transfusion tomorrow). I noticed blood come out today when I urinated which really freaked me out (never happened before). I also have constant blood in my nose which is partly from the platelets being low and it being dry in the house. The doc prescribed some saline spray for my nose which should help. I also hope the platelets last a little longer this time, hopefully long enough until I engraft and can start making them on my own again...

That's pretty much it for now. Time to go down for a nap and wake up to watch some football!

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Ugh - I sure hope your platelets start behaving themselves better!! Doesn't sound too pleasant :0(
Thinking of you and wishing you a speedy engraftment..........Vx

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris,

I just finished reading your blog and it's truly inspirationnal. I've been following your journey on the forum since the beginning ( you sent me a PM at one point) and I'm really impressed by way you handle it all. Now that you're almost done with your tandem SCT, new adventures are about to begin !

I wish you the very best for 2009. Take care

tadpole56